R.I.P. President George H.W. Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
Like all ex presidents did their very best for our country. A huge thing to give to your country. RIP

I would hope so but deep in my heart I do know 1 that did not love this country and basically said it many times . We have our flaws here but we try .

Originally Posted by buster
R.I.P. President George H.W. Bush, a good man and model public servant,.... he wanted a kinder, gentler America.

^^^^^

Really well said.

Never knew him. (removed - mod)

I'm sure he's in a better place though.
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by onetwoothreee

lol.gif

You should read up on his life. Then again, that might be difficult for you.

Originally Posted by PimTac

lol.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
lol.gif

Somebody had to say it . What a caring fello . Geesh.

lol.gif

Some people try to make a difference and some people just take up space . Its not to hard to figure out where you fall .

I would like to add that I wasn't exactly correct in what I said above. Aging neurons, or perhaps faulty information decades ago.

As a student at Andover, he tried to enlist, and planned to drop out. He was told that he couldn't enlist until he was 18. He briefly considered joining the Royal Canadian Air Force, since they would take pilots at 17. So, he joined on his 18th birthday. The very first day that he could.

This is part of what impressed me about the man, he was at the finest prep school, had been accepted to Yale, you might call it "privilege" these days, but he dropped it all to go join the fight.

And he joined the fight, flying off carriers in combat. When his airplane was hit, and on fire, he pressed on to the target, released his bombs, hit his target and then bailed out.

When he graduated Yale, he could've followed his dad on Wall Street, instead, he started at the bottom in the oil industry, in Midland Texas, as a salesperson.

I admire his desire to serve, and his desire to make his own way, instead of taking advantage of the easy path that was before him.

Originally Posted by andyd
GHWB , Thank you. When you get to Valhalla, say hi to my Dad.

You have to die in battle to get to Valhalla.

A while back I worked with a guy who had been very active politically and had served as an elected official on a local and state level and was (and still is somewhat) very well known. He was the highest ranking politician available when GHWB came to town for an event, so even though he was a higher ranking Democrat, he was invited to show him around the plant they were touring and to pretty much shadow him for the time he was there. He said he was not looking forward to the whole event one bit, but after it was over he said GHWB was probably the most well spoken, genuine, intelligent, and likable person he had ever met. He laughed and said "I used to hate him. I couldnt stand even listening to him. Now I cant help but genuinely like the guy. I kind of feel guilty that I ever even disagreed with him on anything, because he was so nice. I could have talked to him forever, about anything. He knew everything, about everything."

My wife and I spent some time in Kennebunkport while 41 was in office and while we were there he came home for a while. Secret service people, boats, and helicopters were everywhere. We did see Barbara (didnt get close enough to meet to her though), but never did see the President. We were at dinner talking to our waiter one night, and she said she didnt agree with him politically, but he was in there all the time and she had nothing but good things to say about him and everybody who worked there liked when he came in because he was so nice to everyone.

Never did get to meet him, but wish I had. Seems like a genuinely decent guy who had an amazing life.

The Greatest generation; indeed!
Godspeed to President Bush, those who have passed and those whom we will lose in the years to come.
Precious few left.
Even though I am, myself, well over the hill, there is much I can learn from these men and women.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Anyone watch the Bob Dole (age 95) salute? Real tearjerker.
An old warrior saluting a WWII comrade in arms. Both good and decent men. We sorely need men and women of their caliber to pull us out of the malaise that has befallen the USA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back