S10 vs. Guardrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too sure who won in this one...

[Linked Image]

Coming home from work this morning and hit an icy bridge. Got it in a controlled slide, but as soon as I got off the bridge It went haywire. There was an oncoming truck and my only option was to fight it to the guardrail. I hit it around 30mph and thought I done it in, but not as much as I thought. Bumper was pushed into the tire so I couldn't go anywhere, local fireman gave me his 10lb maul, but it wasn't working. Had a family member coming so I had time to think. Ah! I got some ratchet straps. Tied a couple to the guard rail and bumper and ratcheted. It came off the tire, but sprung back. Said screw it the bumpers already trashed. Tightened up the straps, got in the truck, and floored it in reverse. Worked
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(light bar was not in use on the road, I just needed some extra light)

Gonna do a little bit more pulling here at home, but it's driveable. As much as I hate to drive something beat up it's gonna have to wait till spring. Needs a bumper, fender, core support, grille, and battery tray. I'm pretty sure the suspension is ok, but I'll pull the tire off and double check.

Originally Posted by Delta
Not too sure who won in this one...

[Linked Image]

Coming home from work this morning and hit an icy bridge. Got it in a controlled slide, but as soon as I got off the bridge It went haywire. There was an oncoming truck and my only option was to fight it to the guardrail. I hit it around 30mph and thought I done it in, but not as much as I thought. Bumper was pushed into the tire so I couldn't go anywhere, local fireman gave me his 10lb maul, but it wasn't working. Had a family member coming so I had time to think. Ah! I got some ratchet straps. Tied a couple to the guard rail and bumper and ratcheted. It came off the tire, but sprung back. Said screw it the bumpers already trashed. Tightened up the straps, got in the truck, and floored it in reverse. Worked
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(light bar was not in use on the road, I just needed some extra light)

Gonna do a little bit more pulling here at home, but it's driveable. As much as I hate to drive something beat up it's gonna have to wait till spring. Needs a bumper, fender, core support, grille, and battery tray. I'm pretty sure the suspension is ok, but I'll pull the tire off and double check.

Important thing is truck is driveable and you are OK Adam
smile.gif

Just FYI if that ratchet strap broke you'd have flung (metal) parts of it through your windscreen.

I have always been amazed at vehicles going 30+ hitting guardrails and just getting scuffed. Physics of going forward vs sideways have a lot to do with it, er, well, actually, all of it.

A side question for you, my 2000 S-10 Blazer factory lighting stinks. Is that just a universal LED light bar of some kind? What did you attach it to?

Those are tough little trucks. Sounds like you made the right split second decision.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Important thing is truck is driveable and you are OK Adam
smile.gif

Thanks Adam. A couple hours with the hammer the light is somewhat aimed and the battery is back where it should be.

Originally Posted by andyd
on a '99 S 10 , That road rash is just adding to the patina.
grin2.gif

Heh, I think you're right. Little bugger is tougher than I thought!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Just FYI if that ratchet strap broke you'd have flung (metal) parts of it through your windscreen.

That thought did cross my mind, at the moment I had to use what I had. Better than calling a tow truck. I think I'm going to get some heavy duty straps and put them in every vehicle now, just incase.

Originally Posted by c502cid
A side question for you, my 2000 S-10 Blazer factory lighting stinks. Is that just a universal LED light bar of some kind? What did you attach it to?

Yea it was a 20" bar I ordered off Amazon. It was just attached to the bumper. It added alot of light, but unless you drive on barely traveled roads people are going to hate you. I upgraded bulbs and it helps a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back