Heating Oil Scammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Signed up for a fixed price fuel contract with a local heating oil supplier.
That year in 2015 we had a cold snap and fuel oil went up.
During the coldest days they would not bring oil out because it was a loss for them even though we had a contract and auto fill.
I was running around filling up at gas stations with diesel for over a month on two houses. After that I said screw them.

Later that year in late May they dumped a bunch of high priced oil on me after the contract was over. ( nice)

In late December 2016 I caught them twice trying to dump fuel on me and I called the company and they fed me a line of bull and I got a certified
letter saying I am no longer a customer and it won't ever happen again.

Nothing after that happened again.

Today I come home and they dumped over $600 of fuel on me...….. What???
It is priced 45 cents a gallon more than my current supplier. But that is not the point.
I am not looking for a free ride- never was but at this point two years later to try this scam again- I'm not interested in a price match.
This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt this is how this company conducts itself.
Any idea on how I should proceed this time? I'm not letting them off this time.

Back in 2016 when I stopped the driver he thought it was a joke because you know that they know exactly what they are doing.

How many others are they screwing?

Trust me, I thought about it but I generally don't sue people but in this case they need to be.
At this point I'm not interested in a price match because this allows them to continue to get business in a dishonest way.
Plus I have seen their trucks around here for two months- why today? Because they had some fuel to dump and they didn't even fill the tank.
Why? We know why!

In a way you're lucky. I had one of those contracts that worked out ok for one year. And then they put the hard sell on my wife to renew the next year with an upfront payment of $800. They ended up going bankrupt several months later and we got stiffed for that amount. No more contracts for me. I call in my deliveries when needed...and follow the oil charts closely to find quarterly lows. Been working pretty good the past 4 years. Now is a good time to refill. Just 1-2 months ago heating oil was 25% higher.

If there was no current written agreement in place, then negotiate the delivery price down to the lowest of all your regional suppliers.....and maybe even an additional discount for the times they overcharged you. If what they've been doing to you is not written into your signed contract....then those additional terms do not apply.

Last edited:
I'd keep it and not pay any bills they send you. You didn't ask for it, you didn't sign for it that it was delivered. Therefore it never happened. They will learn the hard way it's their "mistake". Oil is not cheap.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Trust me, I thought about it but I generally don't sue people but in this case they need to be.
At this point I'm not interested in a price match because this allows them to continue to get business in a dishonest way.
Plus I have seen their trucks around here for two months- why today? Because they had some fuel to dump and they didn't even fill the tank.
Why? We know why!

Not sure why you want to sue them. Just say thanks for the free oil. FTC says you can keep items you didn't order. Then it's up to them to sue you.

Do you know they actually filled your tank?

Either way, I'd be very hesitant to pay them until I knew I actually had oil delivered, but I wouldn't be quick to pay their asking rate.

Get the price at the terminal today and jot it down. If they did deliver without you asking for it, offer to pay the price at the terminal.

It's the right thing to do if you actually got heating oil. That way, they are only out the profit and the delivery charges.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Do you know they actually filled your tank?

Either way, I'd be very hesitant to pay them until I knew I actually had oil delivered, but I wouldn't be quick to pay their asking rate.

Get the price at the terminal today and jot it down. If they did deliver without you asking for it, offer to pay the price at the terminal.

It's the right thing to do if you actually got heating oil. That way, they are only out the profit and the delivery charges.

Yes i did get the oil. I did as you say several times previously but this time I'm sick and tired of paying
as that allows them to continue screwing people. If possible I'd rather have them have to pump it out.
I don't want a free ride but when will they get the message not to dump oil.

I tried to find a lock for the fill cap. No luck yet, but I will fabricate my own and that way they wont be able
to pull this stunt again. I'm not their customer and don't want to be and at this point I'm beyond disgusted.

Call them up and say, hey, I got your slip, but you must have the wrong address, because I'm not a customer, and didn't order anything. Just get their response, you sound like you're not going to pay (quickly), which is the first step in getting the upper hand in renegotiating.

Do you have a plastic "ring" from your present "favorite" oil supplier (that's not them?) Did they cut it off and stick theirs on?

Do you have a copy of the contract you signed years back? What does it have for an expiration date?

Your contract was done, and you didn't order the latest delivery. It's free oil. No payment is due. It's their problem. I'd use the money you saved to buy a camera focused on your tank fill in case they come back for any reason.

Have your local pd serve them a trespassing notice that they are not allowed on your property. They had no legal rights to be on your property or 'deliver' oil.

Keep the oil, make them file suit so it will get tossed then counter sue for lost wages and being idiots.

Use the system against them, that's the only way bc they dont care about reasonable. They prey on reasonable people to not push back and to do 'the right thing' bc of their mistakes. Loosing money is the only thing they care about.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Have your local pd serve them a trespassing notice that they are not allowed on your property. They had no legal rights to be on your property or 'deliver' oil.

Keep the oil, make them file suit so it will get tossed then counter sue for lost wages and being idiots.

Use the system against them, that's the only way bc they dont care about reasonable. They prey on reasonable people to not push back and to do 'the right thing' bc of their mistakes. Loosing money is the only thing they care about.

This sounds like a good course of action to me.

I'm all for doing the right thing. But in this case, the company is no different than the scammers who for example go around and rake some old widows leaves in her tiny yard, and then bully her for $500.00 after the 'job' is done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
What a bunch of morons.

Report them to the FTC. Sounds like you have all the documentation you need.

And the BBB.

I love this too:

Originally Posted by 02SE

I'm all for doing the right thing. But in this case, the company is no different than the scammers who for example go around and rake some old widows leaves in her tiny yard, and then bully her for $500.00 after the 'job' is done.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
What a bunch of morons.

Report them to the FTC. Sounds like you have all the documentation you need.

And the BBB.

I love this too:

Originally Posted by 02SE

BBB is useless. You're better off writing a yelp/google review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back