Telephone Scammer

Got a call from a 1-800 number claiming to be the Fraud Investigation Department of CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) and wanted my credit card number (I do have a CIBC card) and expiry date. I played along and gave the scammer a fake number and expiry date. He put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and asked me to double check the number. I then read out the 3 digit number on the back of the non-existent card in front of me.. He put me on hold again for a few minutes and then came back and said everything was fine with my card.
I did not expose myself to any risk, did I, by playing along?

I don’t even pick up the phone usually if I don’t recognize the number. I don’t even like talking to people I know on the phone I especially don’t want to talk to an army recruiter or scammer or telemarketer lol 😂. Why haven’t they resorted to texts yet? Then I might play along cause I’ll text all day I want nothing to do with talking on the phone. I hate even taking calls from people I know. I’m like text me man this is the 21st century and everyone has smartphones so it’s not hard to text.

When I am not working, or busy, I almost enjoy a scam caller.
Messing with them is rather enjoyable.
The last one was some guy claiming to be a cop, and if I didn't pay my fine immediately he would have me arrested.
I told him that I was home, and would be home all day, so to send the cops over anytime, but make sure it was before dinner time, because I had to cook for my grandmother and I. He was now yelling into the phone, and i said dude calm down, its only 10am, just send the cops before 5pm is all I'm asking you to do. He hung up on me 😁

If there is an accent, it's fraud, easy as that, just hang up or better don't answer. Now scammers are using voice cloning software that can sound like a family member or another non-accented person, so be extra careful. Use secret words / passphrases with family. It's sad we have to think this way, welcome to the future!

Last edited:
Back