VW VR6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the Mobil is very high in calcium, something I'd prefer to avoid in the current DI VR6 engine even using premium fuel. Pretty sure Castrol is lower in calcium and also has magnesium both positives for DI engines IMO. But I haven't decided what to use yet either.

I think Mobil is the star here solely due to rebates
I quit using it in the 80's although it has had numerous revisions.
No bashing but I'm never tempted to use it. Just me

Originally Posted by Zee09
Castrol seems to be the flavor of the day because of price and availability...
Why does VW in this day and age call for a 40 weight. I know the Ram-Dodge 6.4's went that way etc. but why has VW always required
a 40? If I got the VR6 I was tempted to use a Euro 5w30- many come to mind

Why? would eat tru a thinn oil in no time. a3 bearly stays in the engine.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Why? would eat tru a thinn oil in no time. a3 bearly stays in the engine.

Any oil that carries actual 502 00 approval will have a minimum HTHS regardless of the grade and is not "thinn".

Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by wemay
Trying to convince the wife this needs to be her/our next vehicle.

Good luck sent your way!

Thanks! She's very attached to the Santa Fe Sport's 2.0T turbo rush and overall reliability.

Me? The VR6 is my all-time favorite motor. Looking back fondly to when i owned a couple A3 Gti VR6.

Last edited:
I was tearing around with my VR6 tonight. I've only had it two weeks but I am addicted. The growl and the pull is irresistible. Coupled with the DSG it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Still have not decided on oil for it, but plan to change at 5k intervals. Still intrigued by a 504 oil for it. Napa has Valvoline MST on sale for 4.99 a quart and it is mid saps and meets MB 229.51. Amsoil actually has a 504 oil that is actually on the approved list, suspect that might hold up better than your average 504 oil.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I was tearing around with my VR6 tonight. I've only had it two weeks but I am addicted. The growl and the pull is irresistible. Coupled with the DSG it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Yes! Even the original 172hp version was visceral and addictive.

I have 800 some miles on it now. To my surprise my hand calculated avg mpg is 24.58, way higher than I expected considering I am driving it the way it is meant to be driven.

I doubt an Atlas would do nearly as well due to weight and aerodynamics.

I have been giving mine nothing but Shell Nitro V Power premium.

My commute to work is 28 miles one way almost entirely highway so that is definitely helping. But I go in at oh-dark-thirty so uh...well...speeds are up there haha. Drive home is heavy traffic though. Probably evens out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back