Is there a high temp cut out for a home heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My downstairs is cold compared to the upstairs. It has one unit to heat/cool both floors. 1500 sq ft. I turned it up to 79 and it got up to 78 then it started turning on and off and didn't make it to 79. Made me wonder if 79 is too hot for it.

Where is the tstat located? Up or downstairs? In gas and electric furnaces, there are "high temp limit" switches, but they are internal to the furnace and not controlled by the tstat. Start witht the easy stuff first......air filter clean?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
My downstairs is cold compared to the upstairs. It has one unit to heat/cool both floors. 1500 sq ft. I turned it up to 79 and it got up to 78 then it started turning on and off and didn't make it to 79. Made me wonder if 79 is too hot for it.

79f ? I roast if mine is over 70f

The house is on stilts and their is no insulation under the floor, so that seems to nab the heat. Plus the only zone is upstairs. It's a dumb design I know.

Originally Posted by CT8
Heat rises.

It can only go through the opening in the staircase. There isn't a balcony type of second floor like most houses.

Originally Posted by CT8
Heat rises.

It can only go through the opening in the staircase. There isn't a balcony type of second floor like most houses.

And cold air falls.

The plenum on forced air furnaces has a limit switch that will shut the furnace down on if it gets too hot. It may be that the furnace was running so long that this safety switch limited out and shut it off.

Where is the heating unit located and how many heat registers on th first floor? Yes, heat rises and cold drops, as to the limit switch cycling thats due to insuficient air flow through the plenum or undersize ductwork. Time for an HVAC tech before the heat exchanger develops cracks and pumps CO into the living space.

Where is the heating unit located and how many heat registers on th first floor? Yes, heat rises and cold drops, as to the limit switch cycling thats due to insuficient air flow through the plenum or undersize ductwork. Time for an HVAC tech before the heat exchanger develops cracks and pumps CO into the living space.

It's on the second floor. There is no zone downstairs it just gets heat whenever the second floor thermostat is running. . There are vents on the second floor though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The house is on stilts and their is no insulation under the floor, so that seems to nab the heat. Plus the only zone is upstairs. It's a dumb design I know.

Then it's time to insulate under the floor.

System isn't properly balanced. You either need more registers on the first floor or less on the 2nd. Call an HVAC guy that actually knows how to do a Manual J calculation. Lots of them just skip by it and go by their gut.

Here's a basic one. If it's done by the room, you should know how many btu's you should have to each room.

http://www.loadcalc.net/

Originally Posted by Linctex

Then it's time to insulate under the floor.

The system is ten years old. I'm thinking it's going to crap out within the next couple years. I'll have it redone then. Either two separate units or just one unit and two zones, plus flooring insulation. I don't know why they made this the way they did. I think it's ridiculous. It's all about saving that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back