Bagged motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this since 99% of you haven't heard about how South America used to get bagged oil, and now there's the eco-bags.

I grew up in South America and I remember seeing bagged oil like this (without the friendly cap), my grandpa used to get 25w60 (bottled) for his Blazer with the carb'd 2.8 V6. Everything was very old school, we didn't get unleaded gas until the mid 90s btw.

Heck, my dad's 1998 Volvo S70 with the 5 cylinder called for mineral 20w40 for some reason, but we were "revolutionary" and used synthetic 5w40 lol...

Anyways I attached some pics, something new for you.

046FF637-A26D-46CA-A5E4-325F77638580.jpeg

4C051CE4-0DA3-4F00-BFC9-D363564E9D91.jpeg

40C2A072-C3EC-4CB7-B05A-797BFF9822D3.jpeg

C61061D1-6AA3-4BDF-B45B-9D2B2ED504EA.jpeg

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by Chris142
What's a basic diesel?
Probably IDI, no DPF, old slow & smoky ones (like my F-450 & GMC).

Probably.
In Peru we used to have "diesel 1" and "diesel 2" at the pumps, I believe 1 was for old diesels and 2 was for newer ones.. different sulfur levels or something.

It was also common to see non-turbo diesels in regular passenger cars and SUVs!

After having used Amsoil Severe Gear in that type of bag format I would welcome my engine oil also coming that format as it would be easier to handle and pour for not so easy oil fill caps on certain vehicles.

That one of Castrol Gold looks to be a repack. I've been in countries with repack merchandise. I couldn't trust it.

The bag idea though is a good one and I'm surorised it hasn't caught on more.

I'm surprised we don.t have that these days with the ways things are going. I would have no problem with it.

I have always had the idea of refillable plastic containers. put you jug in, punch in the flavor you want fill er up.

You could get a load the same size as your sump of you want so one pour and your done. hang it from your hood like an IV bag.

Yep, It's big in Mexico City too, most "domestic oils" come in that packaging. Makes sense, its cheaper and requires less raw material. I've never tried using this oil but it appears that it would be easier to pour than the bottle. BTW I've seen ATF in the same packaging.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this since 99% of you haven't heard about how South America used to get bagged oil, and now there's the eco-bags.

I grew up in South America and I remember seeing bagged oil like this (without the friendly cap), my grandpa used to get 25w60 (bottled) for his Blazer with the carb'd 2.8 V6. Everything was very old school, we didn't get unleaded gas until the mid 90s btw.

Heck, my dad's 1998 Volvo S70 with the 5 cylinder called for mineral 20w40 for some reason, but we were "revolutionary" and used synthetic 5w40 lol...

Anyways I attached some pics, something new for you.

Here in Spain we had Leaded Gasoline until 1/1/2002.

Originally Posted by andyd
Why is a plastic bag more recyclable than a plastic jug?

It's probably not, the idea is less waste to start with.

The bag could be worse. It will break down in to plastic fragments much faster, and end up as micro particles in the ocean.

We need to go back to the paper cans, with metal end cap and the special oil spout again. No plastic for the ocean. Metal is recycled or rusts away in a few years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
The bag could be worse. It will break down in to plastic fragments much faster, and end up as micro particles in the ocean.
We need to go back to the paper cans, with metal end cap and the special oil spout again. No plastic for the ocean. Metal is recycled or rusts away in a few years.

If we go back to those paper cans, there may be no plastic for the ocean but there will be plenty of oil for the WM shelves!

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

Nope there are better ways to achieve your stated goal without that mess.

I used to recycle the old cans by burning the paper and recycling the metal.

They tried to sell bagged milk here back in the 1970s. It got no traction and fell to the wayside. I have a feeling the same would happen with bagged oil. I could handle it. I'd just pour it into old empty oil jugs for storage.

The oil companies wouldn't do this to help recycle, it would be to save costs. I would think you could fit a lot more empty bags into a container for storage and transport. And potentially even when full of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back