Valvoline Modern Engine question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the new "Valvoline Modern Engine" engine oil:
This oil is presented as an oil that has the ability to "Provide better protection against carbon build-up than Industry standards".
I am aware that this formulation of oil is geared to newer engines (GDI, Turbo ect…).
My question is this:
Will this oil also provide protection of carbon build up in engines that are prone to Rings that get clogged and in turn increase Oil consumption (much like both of my Gen 8 Corollas)?Thanks in advance.

That's just marketing. "It surpasses minimum specification standards"...commonly used. It's good oil and I would not dissuade its use if it meets the specs you need.
One of the best thing to keep rings from sticking is to change the oil regularly and to occasionally stomp the pedal to the floor and let the engine produce some power. "Italian tune up" whatever you want to call it. It's old fashioned, but it works.
Getting good and hot and getting the piston speeds up with a lot of pressure will help those rings stay free.
Idling around at low rpms and driving gentle. Is good on the gas bill, but things get gunned up if it isn't ran up to speed and flogged judiciously from time to time.
Piston speed and load.

Last edited:
VME is likely formulated with components that are not shown on the average voa.

There is a promo still going if I'm not mistaken but time is running short. $15 off of a 5 qt jug. I took advantage of that and all I can say is that it runs very smooth in the Mazda SkyActiv.

Valvoline, like all major brands, produces excellent products. Use with no worries.

I also received a $15 off rebate...….was thinking about trying it on both the 1998 and the 1999 Corolla. Presently, my local WALMART has it priced @ $34.99. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the Pennzoil Ultra that I am running in both cars at the present time. It's just that I'm always looking for something new.

Side Note: @PimTac & @Bryanccfshr and Other Veterans: On the eve of "Veteran's Day" I personally Thank you for your service to this Great Country of ours!!

Last edited:
Presently, the 1999 has 79K and the 1998 has 62K...…..They really are bulletproof. In NY, they probably will rust out before they wear out!

Agree with what the above members have stated. The exact mechanism in which VME can reduce intake valve deposits is a mystery.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Presently, the 1999 has 79K and the 1998 has 62K...…..They really are bulletproof. In NY, they probably will rust out before they wear out!

Those are really low miles accumulated over the years.

Originally Posted by buster
Agree with what the above members have stated. The exact mechanism in which VME can reduce intake valve deposits is a mystery.

I agree. I would think this oil could have better results on the rings and lands where it can work. How any oil could reduce intake valve deposits is something I haven't fully comprehended.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I agree. I would think this oil could have better results on the rings and lands where it can work. How any oil could reduce intake valve deposits is something I haven't fully comprehended.

Exactly what I was thinking...….This Generation of Corolla is prone to build-up of carbon in the rings and lands...…..something that I am trying to avoid. Presently, both Corollas don't suffer from excess Oil burning due to this condition. I'm always looking for a way to prevent it.

Valvoline just says "Blindly believe our marketing." They think all consumers wouldn't know a dispersant from an anti-oxidant. Of course that won't work for us.

I would think this oil could have better results on the rings and lands where it can work. How any oil could reduce intake valve deposits is something I haven't fully comprehended.

All we know is that PCV flow does put oil in contact with the intake valves, and the patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US6846782 mentions using esters, which Valvoline Premium Blue Restore uses in heavy amounts (from MSDS) for ring-land cleaning.
Speculating whether all the known properties of esters to clean carbon would mean there is some relation between Valvoline Modern Engine & Valvoline Premium Blue Restore oils.
... google.com ..... premium blue restore site:bobistheoilguy.com

VME 0w-20 has a strange MSDS. Instead of vague-ish ranges of components (i.e, 10%-25% distillates), they give very exact amounts for the Group3 base oil they must list.
And, there is no PAO, as it must be listed in the hazardous list if it was there.
POE may be there in percentages that are very similar to the large percents seen in Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, and would account for extra cleaning power.
Any other way to interpret this?

vmemsds.JPG

The price of it suggests there is an expensive component to this oil.

Similar to M1 AP. The voa doesn't tell the story. At least AP does market itself as a longer oci oil. VME lacks in that respect.

Similar to M1 AP. The voa doesn't tell the story. At least AP does market itself as a longer oci oil. VME lacks in that respect.
I'd say the marketing department at Valvoline doesn't want the consumer to use less motor oil, hurting sales volume. I always thought it was strange Mobil wants us to "not change your oil" in their ads for M1 AP, similar to M1 EP too. Shouldn't they be telling us the old Jiffy Lube line of "change every 3,000 miles" to get us to give them more $$? Marketing 101. Of course the engine makers have overcome all this due to fleet sales maintenance costs and John Q. Public satisfaction, telling us to go 5,000 - 12,000 miles depending on the type.

If the remaining 30% of the base oil not shown on the MSDS for VME 0w20 is the same or similar ester in Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, then I don't see how VME couldn't go the distance like M1 AP, assuming the anti-ox in VME is durable enough. Can't be sure unless it was tested.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I'd say the marketing department at Valvoline doesn't want the consumer to use less motor oil, hurting sales volume. I always thought it was strange Mobil wants us to "not change your oil" in their ads for M1 AP, similar to M1 EP too. Shouldn't they be telling us the old Jiffy Lube line of "change every 3,000 miles" to get us to give them more $$? Marketing 101. Of course the engine makers have overcome all this due to fleet sales maintenance costs and John Q. Public satisfaction, telling us to go 5,000 - 12,000 miles depending on the type.

If the remaining 30% of the base oil not shown on the MSDS for VME 0w20 is the same or similar ester in Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, then I don't see how VME couldn't go the distance like M1 AP, assuming the anti-ox in VME is durable enough. Can't be sure unless it was tested.

Another possible explanation is that Valvoline understands that the oci on GDI and TGDI motors runs shorter so it would be counterproductive to suggest anything longer.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
That's just marketing. "It surpasses minimum specification standards"...commonly used. It's good oil and I would not dissuade its use if it meets the specs you need.
One of the best thing to keep rings from sticking is to change the oil regularly and to occasionally stomp the pedal to the floor and let the engine produce some power. "Italian tune up" whatever you want to call it. It's old fashioned, but it works.
Getting good and hot and getting the piston speeds up with a lot of pressure will help those rings stay free.
Idling around at low rpms and driving gentle. Is good on the gas bill, but things get gunned up if it isn't ran up to speed and flogged judiciously from time to time.
Piston speed and load.

"Italian Tune Up" does nothing for GDI engines and intake valve carbon build up.

Not entirely true. Some injectors depending on their placement and spray timing will back wash valves somewhat because of overlap with an open valve. They spray just enough fuel to keep the mixture in the cylinder lean enough but enough to help keep valves clean. Spraying the rest of the fuel for the ignition cycle at the very end.

Also if you knock debris loose from an injector by running it hard, it better atomizes the fuel thereafter which can decrease soot particles that can make an oil abrasive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back