cheap GKI cartridge filter 13,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this filter 13,000 miles in my 4 cylinder 06 ecotec engine. Really didn't intend to run it this long but things happen. GKI appears to make/import filters from China and re-label/package them for different filter suppliers as well as sell them under their own name. More info on GKI here..http://www.gkindustries.com/

This filter was twisted when removed from the engine but this happens with just about all other brands I have tried. Wire backed filters such as the Fram Ultra do not do this. The media was not brittle and had trapped a lot of carbon. I remove the media from most filters and stretch it out while holding up to the sky in order to find holes. No holes were found this time. Not a bad filter for $3.50 here in Canada.

SDC10035a.JPG

SDC10038a.JPG

SDC10039a.JPG

SDC10041a.JPG

How many OCI's is 13,000 for your vehicle 2? What oil were you using?
That looks like a lot of gunk in the pleats.

Last edited:
It looks way way better than the fram cartridge in my fusion with just a few hundred miles. Whenever I can get up there where the car is parked I'll show pics of the atrocity of a filter.

The oil was mostly formula shell conventional with about %20 cheap synthetic blend. At about 9,000 miles I drained half of the oil out and refilled with the same type of oil. I generally use whatever left overs I have. The car then went on a road trip to Virginia and back [about 2,000 miles]. When it returned I changed the oil but forgot the filter. Drove another 1,000 or so before changing it. This engine and filter type seem to acquire carbon as I have seen it before. Most people don't cut the media off of the centre tube so they don't know it's there. I do agree this is too much.
A recent post here shows some of the same..https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4913843/Searchpage/1/Main/298841/Words/%2BHengst/Search/true/re-bosch-d-3324-5908-miles#Post4913843
My ecotec burns about a quart every 3,500 miles with 215,000 miles on the odometer. I'm sure it suffers from a little blow by. For the conditions, I think the filter did a good job.

Many people misunderstand this filter arrangement. The filter cap has a spring loaded plunger inside that holds the filter in place. The cap has an o-ring and once the shoulder of the cap meets the filter housing, the cap cannot be tightened any more.
You can't crush the filter by torqueing the cap.

Some filters have a complete centre tube from top to bottom end plate. Others. like this one, have only a partial tube and the media is the only structure connecting the end plates.

Either way these engines don't seem to suffer.

Another crushed cartridge filter ... the world is near end of days!
lol.gif

As seen many times over in this forum, tt's a pretty typical thing to happen with cartridge filters.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Another crushed cartridge filter ... As seen many times over in this forum, tt's a pretty typical thing to happen with cartridge filters.
Has never happened to mine. The spring applies about 7 pounds axial force, not nearly enough to buckle a filter.
Is GM doing something wrong to make crushing "typical"?

Last edited:
^^^ Doesn't happen in every case with every vehicle ... but it happens quite a bit as reported many times over in this forum with many different filter brands.

The 2.2 Ecotec is well known for doing this to most any filter brand.
Hengst and Mann filters seem to be the best at not deforming, I have had 4 of 5 (Bosch, Wix, unknown brand) deformed on my mom's Saturn Vue.
I was also told the Puroflux does not deform, but it is a filter that comes with zigzag media new.

The guy at the dealer thought he would give me some wisdom about overtightening the cartridge filter on my 3.2 pentastar.... until I told him they did the previous oil change I just ripped their sticker off the window.. (lol).

Mine was all twisted up like that.

lol.gif

As seen many times over in this forum, tt's a pretty typical thing to happen with cartridge filters.

Not on my Hyundai... Every filter has come out straight as a die. OEM 3C100, K&N, and Napa Gold.

*puffs chest out*

Originally Posted by 69Torino
lol.gif

Not on my Hyundai... Every filter has come out straight as a die. OEM 3C100, K&N, and Napa Gold.

*puffs chest out*

*puffs chest out* - LoL. Like mentioned before ... every vehicle made to take the same cartridge filter may have a different result. I doubt the cartridge cavity is specified to some strict SAE design standard down to the nearest 1/1000 inch. This is why every vehicle + filter combo may have a different outcome.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
... As seen many times over in this forum, tt's a pretty typical thing to happen with cartridge filters.

... Like mentioned before ... every vehicle made to take the same cartridge filter may have a different result. I doubt the cartridge cavity is specified to some strict SAE design standard down to the nearest 1/1000 inch. This is why every vehicle + filter combo may have a different outcome.
The issue isn't about ±0.001" tolerances. It's about whether the housing design allows excessive force (and/or frictional torque?) to be applied to the filter, or the filter fails to withstand appropriate force (as defined by SAE or the manufacturer or ...). If Toyota and Hyundai can make housings that don't crush cartridges, why can't GM or Chrysler?

Originally Posted by CR94
If Toyota and Hyundai can make housings that don't crush cartridges, why can't GM or Chrysler?

Everyone knows that answer.
grin2.gif

I've seen GKI fuel filters before - cheap jobber filters. I didn't know they also sold oil filters, probably to be competitive for quick lubes and shops that need cheap oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back