VW VR6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trick question. Depends on if its in a Porsche or a VW. Porsche gets C30 spec oil, VW gets 502.00 spec oil.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4381794/Porsche_Cayenne_VR6_(VW)_Why_u

Yes I did roofless.
But I went with the 2L SE/Tech
Haven't got it yet as I have to do a road trip to drive it home....I
Liked it better and lifting the hood was a trip- mouse motor..... lol
One I bought is in VA

Hah, timely thread! I just bought a Passat GT with the VR6. Only have 200 miles on it so far but like you I am already thinking about oil. It is my first DI engine so of course I am concerned about LSPI.

OP do you have a list of contenders yet?

Lots of oils meet 502. I am more interested in something that meets MB 229.5 (which will also be 502) because it is a much tougher spec.

Is there a good Euro oil that has low calcium, high zinc and magnesium? Would be perfect for our VR6's I should think.

Congratulations on the new ride!!!!
I ran across a bunch of 229.5 oil but my ride differs some than the VR6
I'll get back to you with my top choices for the 6. I'm sure roofless will chime in.
Some frugality will weigh in, although it isn't about being cheap but I'm not rea!ly interested in extending the oci's

I do 10k OCI's normally, but will not for the VR6. It's DI, so longer OCI's are not part of the formula for success. Castrol 0w40 would be my first inclination (along with many here) but I would really like to find a Euro oil with reduced calcium, high magnesium and zinc similar to the D1G2 oils that combat LSPI.

Castrol seems to be the flavor of the day because of price and availability...
Why does VW in this day and age call for a 40 weight. I know the Ram-Dodge 6.4's went that way etc. but why has VW always required
a 40? If I got the VR6 I was tempted to use a Euro 5w30- many come to mind

Originally Posted by Zee09
Why does VW in this day and age call for a 40 weight. I know the Ram-Dodge 6.4's went that way etc. but why has VW always required
a 40
? If I got the VR6 I was tempted to use a Euro 5w30- many come to mind

They don't, they require a specification which includes different grades. The specification includes a minimum HTHS which will limit the selection, but they don't require a specific grade. Same with Mercedes and BMW.

I believe it's a minimum HTHS of 3.5 among other things the oil must meet. Many Euro 30's as well as 40's will meet that.

The newest VW spec is 508 however, which is a 0w20.

Originally Posted by kschachn
a 40
? If I got the VR6 I was tempted to use a Euro 5w30- many come to mind

They don't, they require a specification which includes different grades. The specification includes a minimum HTHS which will limit the selection, but they don't require a specific grade. Same with Mercedes and BMW.

Correct. The dealers try to though. My local dealers all push only 0w40 for the VR6
They act like it is the only "in spec " oil.

What brand and weight oil are you using in the latest VR6?
Pricing and why are you sticking with that brand.
Thanks!

Anything VW502.00 in VR6.
Whether that is Castrol 0W40, 0W30, Mobil1 0W40 FS, Pennzoil 5W40 etc. is up for more detailed discussion.
I would personally use Castrol 0W40.

Edy, when you guys say Mobil 1 0w40 FS you are talking about the European Car Formula or ECF correct?

It's the one with 502 00 approval.

It's not about money. That's a convenient excuse or common reason given on here but it's not the reason.

True, but you know as well as I do that was the official Kendall answer as we both called them a long time ago.
And it can be the real reason. It can be big $$$ to some boutique oil companies..

Edy, when you guys say Mobil 1 0w40 FS you are talking about the European Car Formula or ECF correct?

It's the one with 502 00 approval.

Proper product name is in order....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back