Mixing group 3 and ester oil ? Maxima pro racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 qts of maxima pro racing oil 0w20 t and and what you used at mixing Mobil 1 0w20 high mileage or pennnzoil platinum high mileage 0w20 and use in Honda Pilot 2007 and I search here but no thread for mixing group 3 and group 5 oil . Did mixing damage engine seals or engine sludge up ?

Are all of the components API certified if not are the additive packs similar? An example I can provide although Redline was not API certified when mixed with Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme the results were exceptional because the two oils both used a lot of moly and calcium in each respective additive package.

I have attached a picture and the racing oil has no api rating because of high zddp.

3D5A1B04-D1C1-4773-8F5F-C15C1861B58A.jpeg

AC440D8F-AAD2-4918-8DA4-CB4B1035EDCF.jpeg

Originally Posted by dave1251
Are all of the components API certified if not are the additive packs similar? An example I can provide although Redline was not API certified when mixed with Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme the results were exceptional because the two oils both used a lot of moly and calcium in each respective additive package.

Interested to know the reason for mixing Redline with Chevron Supreme! I have lots of CS in the garage (from Costco) and have used it for many years mainly in 2 of my older cars ... I am also considering using Redline in another car and would have never imagined mixing these two!

Not trying to start a heated debate on the merits of mixing
shocked2.gif
just curious to know your logic. How did CS enhance Redline?

Racing oils typically do not have a lot of detergents to help reduce deposits/sludge/varnish inside the engine..... (very low TBN)

I would run maybe a 1/2 quart of the racing oil and no more than that.

Fill the rest of the sump with whatever SN rated oil you can get that makes you feel good.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Racing oils typically do not have a lot of detergents to help reduce deposits/sludge/varnish inside the engine..... (very low TBN)

Seems like they might go well with an HDEO. It'd provide plenty of base, while the racing oil would up the zinc.

Maxima rs is compatible with conventional and synthetic base oil on the back of the bottle see above picture.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by dave1251

Interested to know the reason for mixing Redline with Chevron Supreme! I have lots of CS in the garage (from Costco) and have used it for many years mainly in 2 of my older cars ... I am also considering using Redline in another car and would have never imagined mixing these two!

Not trying to start a heated debate on the merits of mixing
shocked2.gif
just curious to know your logic. How did CS enhance Redline?

You made a couple of assumptions here. The logic was a few members wanted to experiment with Redline believing mixing it with a PCMO would enhance the additve pack and the performance. The users decided to use Pennzoil/Redline because both used a similar additive package with Redline boosting the pack. The ratio was at 80-20% Pennzoil to Redline. Although the UOA was stellar the UOA was not significantly greater then just Pennzoil thus when the Redline in the intial purchase was depleted the Pennzoil/Redline experiment stopped. I included Chevron because at the time the base oil and additive package between it and Pennzoil were nearly identical.

I see. Also sounds like you guys were talking about racing oil (no api cert?) and had to mix to get the additives needed for street cars ... I was thinking about current Redline that has api cert. and forgot that racing oils are formulated differently.

I do not personally recommend mixing oils because everything you need should be in the API Approved Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1. The biggest thing is no company will stand behind the oil when you mix it. I get it you want to add some ZDDP, an anti-wear additive, but it is not like the honda is a flat-tappet engine.

Additionally too much ZDDP can foul a catalytic converter though somehow it didn't cause us any problems back in the SJ and SL days when pretty much every vehicle had a cat and they didn't start taking out the ZDDP significantly until SM.

Generally pretty much any oil is mixable. It probably won't hurt anything, but I cannot tell you to do it. All I can really say is that your vehicle was born in the API-SM days and that ultimately you need ot use whatever the manual says.

It not that I want to mix them but I have in my oil stash that I want to used it or throw it if it going to damage engine seals or engine itself. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back