Differential Allen Drain Bolt Buggered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I have broken a 1/2" drive breaker bar trying to remove cold, I have gotten off with a 12" long 3/8" ratchet simply because of heat. If it's stuck, heat it up.

To quote one of my favorite people, Jesse Peterson, "Amazing!"

Looks good. Nice to hear you got it out.
thumbsup2.gif

Just looked back at this thread. Glad you got it out. But i'm surprised you put another internal hex bolt in there. Could you not get an external bolt head plug to fit? I'd not want go through that again.

My newish mazda had an internal hex drain plug. I changed that out the second oil change for a standard external bolt head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
... But i'm surprised you put another internal hex bolt in there. Could you not get an external bolt head plug to fit? I'd not want go through that again. ... My newish mazda had an internal hex drain plug. I changed that out the second oil change for a standard external bolt head.
Does it matter that much to you? Surely you'll admit Gebo's new internal-hex plug is prettier!

My first encounter with internal-hex plugs was changing the WS ATF in the Prius. No problems. I couldn't use a torque wrench, but that didn't matter. The transmission drain of the Mazda required an unusual size deep socket, more of an inconvenience.

Originally Posted by CR94
... But i'm surprised you put another internal hex bolt in there. Could you not get an external bolt head plug to fit? I'd not want go through that again. ... My newish mazda had an internal hex drain plug. I changed that out the second oil change for a standard external bolt head.
Does it matter that much to you?

Not really. Just curious if he considered not using that design again.

Last edited:
Just looked back at this thread. Glad you got it out. But i'm surprised you put another internal hex bolt in there. Could you not get an external bolt head plug to fit? I'd not want go through that again.

My newish mazda had an internal hex drain plug. I changed that out the second oil change for a standard external bolt head.

I'd prefer an external hex head on my '17 Mazda6.... but for now a tight fitting 8mm male hex socket works for me on the OEM internal hex plug along with a new aluminum crush/flat washer for every tightening (plus the 23-30 ft lbs torque as measured in my torque wrench). Actually I use 25 ft lbs. What I really want is a Dipple rare earth magnet drain plug which is external hex.

Odds are that plug has never been removed before and with who-knows how many miles on it. Subsequent changes are likely to be easier to remove it. If anything, crack it loose and re-tighten once a year.

Let me explain. I damaged the plug myself as I was too lazy to raise the car up and tried to use my foot to break it loose.

I learned.

I won't repeat this idiotic move again.

The OEM plug will be just fine as long as I use proper judgment.

Little things like that are what I try and teach our son, especially when it comes to wrenching on things. He wants to use an impact wrench to start fasteners and I tell him ALWAYS start them by hand. He's also not careful about putting a socket on a fastener 100% 'square' and then he'll want to put extensions on sockets because it makes it 2% easier to reach and those can allow you to not stay square again.

As for using your leg, I had to do that recently except I had him do it while I pressed the ratchet head/socket firmly on the fastener.

Well, my leg wasn't the problem. You'd probably need a video to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back