Learned Some Realtor Slang The Other Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Any potential home-buyer that walks away from a house that needs walls painted, carpets replaced, etc is foolish (or extremely lazy). That said, I'd still use it for negotiating the price down !

Our Realtor told us that the person you just described is more and more becoming today's home buyer . Said majority of them want it totally turn-key move-in condition because most barely have the down payment saved up, don't have the money to put into new paint/flooring/HVAC, etc, and usually won't DIY. Just saying. That's not my fiancee and I, we're both 50+, and willing to put in some DIY but probably not painting since neither of us are particularly good with a paint brush. Rolling on the main areas is a breeze, it's the trim work that we'd mess up ... mainly the wall to ceiling line
eek.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Any potential home-buyer that walks away from a house that needs walls painted, carpets replaced, etc is foolish (or extremely lazy). That said, I'd still use it for negotiating the price down !

Our Realtor told us that the person you just described is more and more becoming today's home buyer . Said majority of them want it totally turn-key move-in condition because most barely have the down payment saved up, don't have the money to put into new paint/flooring/HVAC, etc, and usually won't DIY. ...

Also what my neighbors realtor told them, realtor wanted them to paint some rooms grey... but they did finally get a contract without painting.

I don't really get realtor slang and ads...

Like they will say "Shows nice" and I'm like "I don't care how it shows, how does it live?" Then they put their glamor shot on everything - like I'm not looking to date them, just buy or sell a house... It is all idiotic imo.

I'll also throw this out there: with the advent of HDR photography now possible with most phone cameras, what you see at the showing or open house sometimes looks better in the photos than it does in person.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I'll also throw this out there: with the advent of HDR photography now possible with most phone cameras, what you see at the showing or open house sometimes looks better in the photos than it does in person.

I sometimes consider it a compliment when they say it looks better in the photos. Normally they say it looks bigger in the pictures, but that's because I use an SLR with a wide angle lense. The square footage is listed though, I just wonder how they think it could be bigger when that number is right there. I sometimes feel like saying "just how big did you think 1000 square feet is?" but I don't.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Kira
Added info for thee amateur interior decorator regarding use of a single color.

Certain popular colors have evolved over the years. These colors' names are used by many paint companies.

Atrium White is as plain white as you can practically find. Many call it "blinding".

Navaho White is a true universal color which goes with everything. Painting an entire house's interior and want to look like a champ? Go Navaho White walls and ceiling.

(It resemble some Antique White nuances)
Eggshell finish please...
Let some light into the house
NAVAJO

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by eljefino
I have an "open floor plan" and this sucks. You have to come up with an imaginary line to divide it. Yeah there's moulding etc but it still looks funny.

Open floor plan is what 90% (or more) buyers want these days.

Yeah, because HGTV or whatever other boob tube tells them.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I have an "open floor plan" and this sucks. You have to come up with an imaginary line to divide it. Yeah there's moulding etc but it still looks funny.

question:

How do you solve an open floor with a family that really cooks?
assume as a start that the all-present microwave combo on top of the range just re-circulate the air through a grease filter...
What are viable realistic options?

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by JHZR2

question:

How do you solve an open floor with a family that really cooks?
assume as a start that the all-present microwave combo on top of the range just re-circulate the air through a grease filter...
What are viable realistic options?

If they really cook, then you have a custom vent that vents outside. Pretty common setup with a modern open floor plan. Some new condo buildings have a special vent in the building just so it can vent it through the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back