Is bleeding the ABS necessary when bleeding the brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to flush my brake fluid every 30,000 miles, about every 3 years, by bleeding the brakes. I never do anything with the ABS block and lines not knowing what to do. Is it necessary to bleed the ABS? Will the old fluid in the ABS contaminate the fresh fluid?

Typically you don't need to. Most systems these days don't have separate reservoirs that must be bled. If you're really concerned with it do it on a rainy day, flush some through and go out and cycle the abs and then flush more through, but that's more work than you probably need to do.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Typically you don't need to. Most systems these days don't have separate reservoirs that must be bled. If you're really concerned with it do it on a rainy day, flush some through and go out and cycle the abs and then flush more through, but that's more work than you probably need to do.
Maybe if you let it run dry you have to cycle it? I've never had to do that and my ABS works fine. I think I have flushed my brakes twice and my ABS works fine.

My BMW bike brake bleed procedure requires that the BMW shop computer cycle the ABS pump during the job.

I just bleed them and then try to lock up the wheels on a gravel road at low speed. Pump cycles then quite a bit.

Only if you run the mc dry. Then the abs has to be cycled on the shop computer. But You can do as above, get the abs activated a few times after bleeding them then bleed again.

Yes some old fluid will remain, but not a big deal IMO>

Last edited:
Bleeding the ABS is almost never necessary.

The only exception I know of is some early 90s Hondas, that have a separate ABS pump and a separate fluid reservoir for the ABS. That is the only time you'd ever need to do anything special with the ABS when bleeding brakes
smile.gif

I back bled the brakes on my Suburban and it was no different than doing it on a vehicle without ABS. After reading this I'm guessing I didn't get all of it?

It depends, some cars require that and some don't. Find a manual - Factory Shop, Chiltons or Haynes and check it out.

No, but the ABS module does need to be activated when changing the brake fluid.

I just let the fluid drain, but i don't let the mc go dry, I let it get low, but not too low. I drain the furthest wheel away first then work my way to the closest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back