Small engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone using the small engine oils for their snow blowers and lawn mowers

20181017_013520.jpg

I use Rotella 10W-30 in my mower, those oils you posted are gimmicks and aren't anything significant. Overpriced stealership oil that's bottled by the lowest bidder so who knows what you're getting.

Yes, I use the synthetic 5W-30 Briggs & Stratton oil, because VOA showed it has 1,200 ppm zinc.

Two yes's so far. The Kawasaki synthetic says something about zinc too on the bottle, but it's blurry to read. The Briggs manual says OK to use any rated oils. But their oil says specially formulated. MTD bagged 30 oil says designed for high shear.

No special oil. I use whatever I can find in my 4.5 hp Briggs from k mart. Been mowing with it since 1993. Probably has 5w30 in but who knows. Haven't changed it for years. I don't care because it runs and starts every time i need it. In 26 years it just needed plugs, filter, starting cord and control lever repaired, and self propelled belt tightened. I check the oil in spring. It's full so I mow. Someday I might buy a new one.

I've used a lot of different stuff in the 17.5 Briggs on my riding mower that I have had since 2003. I did splurge one time on $13 B&S synthetic, but mostly I've been using passenger car oils. Brad Penn 0w30 one time. I even ran used M1 5w20 that had been dyed orange and run in our valvetrain test rigs at Eaton. Since about 2009, I've been running Valvoline VR1 10w30.

Nope.
Whatever is in grade on the shelf goes in.
No need for anything beyond that.

UD

Whatever I have in the garage that is close in grade is what goes into the OPE.

Can't justify $6 quart conventional SAE30 for a free lawnmower. The snowblower gets whatever cheap synthetic I have.

Nope, I only use HDEO like Rotella 10w30 or SuperTech 15w40.

I've only used the name brand oil on two occasions, and that was with my Toro mower when it came with a bottle of oil in it's box, and John Deere 10w30 the first change on my tractor.

Originally Posted by Kira
The one that jumped out at me was the "Harley-Davidson V-Twin Oil" I saw in someone's garage.

What might that cost?

It's been too long for me, but I remember back in the 90's the stuff was like $5 a quart!!

and it was CITGO oil!!

The same exact thing in 20W-50 in a SuperTech bottle at Walmart for maybe $1.18

Now, in the early 90's I had an Evo Sportster,
and I did buy their special "primary lube"
which looked like straight 20W but smelled like gear lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back