Blinding Bright Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Brand new Ford trucks are the worst with respect to blindingly bright headlights.

Scott

In recent tests, IIHS faulted the F150 LED headlights for having both excessive glare and inadequate illumination.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/f-150-crew-cab-pickup

On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

The low beams created excessive glare.

Last edited:
You should have your aim checked after a new set of tires..... How many do that? and the local town has NOBODY with a proper headlamp aimer, all the body shops, just use a wall..........

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
You should have your aim checked after a new set of tires..... How many do that?

Surely you're not suggesting that a few 32's of tread negatively affects headlight aim...

Even if it did, if it was aimed properly with the new tires it left the factory with, it'll be good with another set of new tires, right?

And a wall is the proper tool for a lot of cars.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You should have your aim checked after a new set of tires..... How many do that?

Surely you're not suggesting that a few 32's of tread negatively affects headlight aim...

Even if it did, if it was aimed properly with the new tires it left the factory with, it'll be good with another set of new tires, right?

Actually what verninillinois means that you should have your headlight aim checked AFTER replacing a headlamp assembly

I am suggesting your suspension is wearing out and it causes glare for oncoming vehicles, vehicle sag. Tire change is a good rule of thumb. 1/2 tank of gas, simulated weight in drivers seat, inflation, etc.

and an Aimer machine, is the the proper tool for many cars.

Last edited:
At least their headlights are on.

Stupidest thing is car manufacturers lighting up the dash lights without the headlights on, then people don't turn their headlights on.

I am suggesting your suspension is wearing out and it causes glare for oncoming vehicles, vehicle sag. Tire change is a good rule of thumb. 1/2 tank of gas, simulated weight in drivers seat, inflation, etc.

Around here it seems like the worst offenders are just the opposite - trucks that are lifted or leveled without readjusting.... And of course they have to have aftermarket LEDs.

I do have LED retrofit bulbs in my Grand Marquis - they are Broview S7 series and use small Philips LEDs that are laid out in the pattern of the original filaments. They're basically a direct copy of the Philips brand LED lights that were released for some Asian markets and well-made with solid heatsinks (no fans). The only time I've ever had someone flash their brights is when I was cresting a hill or bridge and they were at the bottom. I did readjust the aim after installing them and am very satisfied with the beam pattern and lighting - Much better than regular halogens. However there's some pretty obnoxious retrofit kits out there that use COB LEDs or larger cree LEDs that completely change the way the lights work

Originally Posted by HorseThief

Around here it seems like the worst offenders are just the opposite - trucks that are lifted or leveled without readjusting.... And of course they have to have aftermarket LEDs.

I don't think the problem is with middle-age or most elderly drivers. I'm guessing the problems lies with the teens, 20's and some 30 year old's (often not a lot of difference in that age range) completely absorbed in themselves -and with a high affinity for "Bling" aftermarket upgrades. As I recall, in the last 5-6 years , there were some hollywood movies (200 MPH, Born to Race, Fast & Furious, Fast Track, Need for Speed, Redline -the list goes on) that seemed to portray an awful lot of cars with blue-bling lights. All those movies chocked full with bands of children (errrr, young adults) tearing-up the town in nitro-fueled rice rockets... by careful observation, it seemed glaring, blingy headlights attracted them like insects on a UV zapper.

Then again HorseThief, you have a point too. I've had quite a few jacked-up trucks with lights so bright, I felt like Richard Dreyfus in the scene of Close Encounters of the Third Kind -where the UFO scans the vehicle he's in -and he has sunburn across his face from the rear view mirror.

Time to petition the local law makers and County Sheriff's office.

Ray

I drive sports car so this is the experience I have any time a full size truck made post 2008 era pulls up behind me. Ever since people decided they wanted the biggest trucks in the world rather than an actual work truck that is reasonably tall and easy to get in and out of, this has been my struggle.

Though in the RX7 even an MG midget's lights can look bright.

You pretty much need headlights that autolevel and have auto dimming rear view mirrors although I find the auto dimming somewhat annoying sometimes because it's sometimes too dim and I can't make anything out. Still I'm never blinded by too bright headlights from behind, even those that have their high beams on are fine. Before I had auto dimming rear view mirrors, I'd either flip up the mirror or if the person behind was clueless about having their high beams on, I'd try to adjust the rear view so that the lights flashed in his eyes.

Triple_Se7en

I agree with you 100% that there are too many people driving at night who shouldn't be. I also believe that there are way too many people, regardless of their age or time of day for driving that, should have never left the comforts of their home or office/computer chair. These people don't belong behind the wheel of any vehicle.

To all,

I for one, have eliminated much of my nighttime driving although I still have to do it sometimes. My wife will do most of our night driving which is minimal these day for both of us. Our nighttime driving consist of leaving family/friends homes after dinner or dessert & coffee and some cards/board games. And we never travel by car on long trips past the time that the sun has gone down.

I have never used/replaced any headlight brighter than what the vehicle came with from the factory. Just the standard replacement bulbs(halogen). However as I mentioned, my lights are properly aimed and my lenses are clear, not foggy(with good maintenance). I don't really have any issue with nighttime driving except for way too many of the oncoming BRIGHT lights in vehicles today. Other than that I can see fine but, I'm not in denial that my eyes are changing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back