99 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm told that I have to use only honda ATF is there any other ATF I can use

You can use the newer DW1, the Idemitsu H Plus, or plenty of people use Maxlife or Castrol Import. Not sure that trans is particularly picky. I've used everything in that list except for the Castrol with no problems.

I've used the Castrol TransMAX Import Multi Vehicle(a.k.a. Castrol IMV) in 3 vehicles with great success.
LEXUS, NISSAN & MAZDA. I have also used MaxLIFE with great success as well.

I've been using all kinds of fluid mixes in my 02 Accord for almost 50k miles and the transmission still works even though all the Honda people said to use Honda fluid only. I think it's safe to say you can try other fluids it will probably just change the way the shifts feel.

I have been a loyal DW-1 user forever. I now use MaxLife or Idemitsu. The Castrol stuff is excellent as well.
If your car's transmission has not been serviced in a while, purchase 2 gallons of MaxLife (about $17 each at Wally World).
Do a couple of spill and fills. It will take about 2.5 quarts; maybe a little more.
You will feel the difference.
I recently used the Idemitsu stuff in wifey's 2006 TSX; wow; it pulls great!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by FT92
i'm told that I have to use only honda ATF is there any other ATF I can use

Who told you that?
The owner's manual, Honda service departments, 3 out of 4 die-hard Honda forum participants, and so on. Doesn't make it true though.... Same applies with Toyota transmissions, Nissans, Ford, etc, etc. There are those who insist that ONLY OEM fluid will work and debate over "you want to save $6 per quart to risk damaging an x-thousand dollar transmission?".

Maxlife is a good ATF and very popular on here. Under $20 a gallon at Walmart

Castro's Full Synthetic ATF is also a very good choice too. It goes on sale a few times a year for $5/qt, but it is not on sale right now.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The owner's manual, Honda service departments, 3 out of 4 die-hard Honda forum participants, and so on. Doesn't make it true though.... Same applies with Toyota transmissions, Nissans, Ford, etc, etc. There are those who insist that ONLY OEM fluid will work and debate over "you want to save $6 per quart to risk damaging an x-thousand dollar transmission?".

I tell em, "If Honda was so smart, why couldn't they make a more durable transmission?"

Maxlife has been good to me in our Odyssey...

Originally Posted by ssamaroo01
What about the Aisin DW-1 ATF fluid on rockauto? Has anyone had any experience with that? I'm shopping for DW-1 on a budget.

There was some discussion about that a while back. Someone did a VOA on it:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...0812/re-aisin-dw-1-atf-specs#Post4600812

and

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rand-dw-1-transmission-fluid#Post4604939

Probably won't hurt anything, but the thought is its not really a DW1 clone like the Idemitsu likely is (Since they make DW! for Honda)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back