Oil Filter Options - E9X BMW M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search and couldn't find any info - any recommended options for the oil filter cartridges for the E90, E92, E93 M3?

So far I've used the OEM filter & the Wix 57997, just wanted to see if there was anything else people were using.

Originally Posted by shanneba
WIX is owned by Mann Hummel now.

You are correct. Here is proof

20181008_184242.jpg

thanks guys - guess i will stick to the wix i've been getting. at least it comes with all the washers etc.

surprised that's about it. anyone know what the filtering effectiveness for wix filters are?

Originally Posted by kyoo
I found this option also:

https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/PG99091EX/2013-BMW-M3/Oil-Filter/

99% up to 25 microns, (ie fram ultra is 99% up to 20 microns, not sure how much difference that makes)

Actually what it says is:

99% Multi-pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 25 microns

Which really tells you nothing about the true efficiency of the filter. In fact, if 25 microns is the smallest it can filter then that is not good.

It does not say that it is 99% up to 25 microns. It could just as well be 99% at 1000 microns according to their statement.

Originally Posted by kschachn

99% up to 25 microns, (ie fram ultra is 99% up to 20 microns, not sure how much difference that makes)

Which really tells you nothing about the true efficiency of the filter. In fact, if 25 microns is the smallest it can filter then that is not good.

It does not say that it is 99% up to 25 microns. It could just as well be 99% at 1000 microns according to their statement.

thanks for the clarification and distinction. none of the other options for the S65 M3 even mention any filtration specs, so it's difficult to know which/how to upgrade

thanks for the clarification and distinction. none of the other options for the S65 M3 even mention any filtration specs, so it's difficult to know which/how to upgrade

Nah they don't. None of the OEM ones for my BMW report it either, neither do Toyota or Honda. Especially for cartridge filters it is nearly impossible to compare filtration statistics in any meaningful way.

Nah they don't. None of the OEM ones for my BMW report it either, neither do Toyota or Honda. Especially for cartridge filters it is nearly impossible to compare filtration statistics in any meaningful way.

true.. fram extra mentions 95% or whatever, was hoping there was an ultra version but doesn't look like it

I take their statement of "as small as 25 microns" meaning it's 99% for particles 25 microns and greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back