making pull-start easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a heck of a time starting her push mower. She told me to pick her out a new very basic push mower (not self propelled).

I planned on running her new mower on 5/10w-30 for easier starting.

Would one of the fancy super duper spark plugs help?

Any other ideas? Any mower suggestions under $180?

Champion has a type of spark plug they call the Easy-Start, I think. Many folks say it really helps, & it only costs a little more than a regular plug. You might try one of those.

A 5w30 oil might help a little too- several have posted about using Walmart SuperTech full synthetic 5w30 in mowers, they say it works great. Also cheap & worth a try. If it's a push mower, a 5-qt jug should give you a fill for the mower(probably 16-20 oz, depending on the engine) with more than 4 qts left over for an oil change on the car. Defintely a win-win scenario!
grin.gif

Link to BITOG thread on Supertech 5w30 synthetic in mowers: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000731

Whether right or wrong, the Honda engines have built a reputation for easy starting- my new Honda-powered Troy-Bilt sure starts easy. It has big rear wheels & sells for $239 at Lowe's.

I think WM has a Honda-powered small-wheel(same size wheels all around) pushmower for about $180. One of those, with Supertech synthetic 5w30 should be a real easy starter.

Your Mom mows her own yard?
patriot.gif

[ June 20, 2006, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Those Chapion 'easy start' plugs are fine wire electrodes.
I've tried them in my snowblower. Worked great. The first year. The next year, it was hard to start, even with the electric starter.
Replaced with a 'normal' plug, starts fine again.
burnout.gif

depending on the size of the yard. ever think about a electric mower? again depends on the size of the yard. this way she dont have to try and pull to get one started.

To properly start a mower engine is to ensure that (a) your engine timing is correct, (b) fuel/air ratio during initial startup is correct (roughly 8~11:1 is good on typical B&S), (c) use fresh fuel (d) no spark leaks anywhere on your high tension section (e) spark plug in good condition (not coated with carbon or fouled by raw gas, which is common during cold start on all small engines) (f) lower viscosity motor oil (SAE 30 straight weight isn't going to help when temp drops below 40'ish).

Most of the time, (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e) are the cause of hard start. esp. (b). If it's one of those plastic B&S carb.

I never figured oil would matter in a lawnmower, until a few years ago when I needed to finish mulching leaves in December and the temperatures had fallen into the 30's. With 30 wt Dino in a Toro pusher, I literally could barely turn the motor with the cord (not even close to starting). I had to bring the mower into the garage and warm it up with a heat gun before it could be started. Ever since, I make sure it had synthetic in it for late fall usage - made a big difference in those final uses of the season.

Another thing that can make starting difficult is if the mower doesn't have the more expensive blade brake that allows the engine to be started without turning the blade - pretty much out of the question with a $180 budget. If you are trying to start it in high grass, it can be quite difficult if the blade is turning (and hitting grass) - made easier if it is started on a paved surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back