Aftermarket Back Up Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the proper section to post this, but....

Has anyone installed an aftermarket back up camera on their vehicle?

Amazon has a wide selection for cheap, but I question the reliability and overall function in hot/cold temperatures.

Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

As long as there's no snow blocking the camera...
laugh.gif

I put one in that I got from AutoZone in my dad's Caravan when it was my fleet vehicle. I did it because the van used to be full to the ceiling with service parts I was driving around with. Fast forward 6 years and it still works and does a great job. It had a transmitter / camera wired to the reverse light in the tail light and then the monitor that I stuck to the bottom of the rear view mirror plugged into the cigarette lighter.

It bakes in the sun in the hot humid summers here and freezes in the cold winters and seems unaffected in the 6 years it's been on the vehicle.

I think I paid $69 USD for it. I mounted the camera inside the van though on the ledge of the rear window so that wiper could keep the glass clean in bad weather rather than the camera becoming dirty by being mounted on the outside of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks Stevie that is a great idea. My wife could use one. Actually I could use one myself come to think of it.

Do they have any that are a camera plus sonar like on some cars where it beeps, also what does it show on the display? Is it just a picture of what is behind or does it draw some sort of grid line to show distance?

I'm not aware of any. I think because the sensors would need to be placed in specific areas to be effective. You can buy after market Sonar kits for that. Ali-Express and Amazon come to mind.

I put one in my elderly father's Accord; he loved it.
I did not like the screen that I mounted on the center dash.
But it worked.

I may get a double din android auto radio for my Tundra that has the camera display.

I bought the cheapo Amazon one, put it over the rear visor. [Can't see much out the rear mirror as I have a cap on the truck, and its glass is smoked.] It's cheap and for some reason doesn't like to turn on about half the time. But it was cheap and easy to install...

I bought a wireless camera and put it onto a trailer. The LCD on the mirror came with two inputs, both the same RCA but one is priority and if it has a signal will be displayed. I put the trailer camera receiver onto that. That seems to work but even with the transmitter as close as possible it seems to have dropouts. Haven't used it enough to "need" to go fix it, but it's something I'd like to finish up working. [When the trailer is plugged in, it's set up to always show what's behind me, not just when backing up. I might have to hardwire the truck camera to be the same way.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back