2019 Subaru Crosstrek oil options..with REDLINE oil response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all
smile.gif
...this is my first post to a forum I've been reading for years now. One thing I learned about on bitog was the CAFE requirements...

In December I'll be getting a 19' Crosstrek with a 6 SPEED. Calls for 0w20...like most anything these days. I for one don't care to much for 20w oils as I do believe they favor mpg's over protection.

REDLINE'S RESPONSE - Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Crosstrek a 0W20 is recommended in the engine, likely primarily for the CAFÃ improvement and that would be our recommendation once the rings have seated. Using the lower viscosity oil wouldn't expect to cause harm or be detrimental to the engine, Subaru no doubt having done extensive evaluation. If you preferred a higher viscosity the 0W30 or 5W30 could be used.

I'm thinking REDLINE'S 0w30 would be a perfect match for my 4 season climate...Thoughts???

Also Am I choosing an overkill oil for a vehicle like this? Would a group 3 synthetic like Pennzoil UP be just as good?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why are certain words in capital

One guess.

Why is it that we keep getting these posters for Redline and Schaeffer's? What is it about those two brands that causes this?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Why are certain words in capital

One guess.

Why is it that we keep getting these posters for Redline and Schaeffer's? What is it about those two brands that causes this?

When see posters using capitalized words and a plethora of exclamation points and question marks, it reminds me of 540RAT whose reputation preceded him.

Originally Posted by Turn__N__Burn
I was excited to finally join this group...Having second thoughts about that now.

We are hard on first timers. A lot of drive by posters come through here.

To answer your question, Redline is not necessary. You can run any major brand of 0w20 in your new Crosstrek with full confidence. Subaru makes a very good vehicle.

Welcome.

Redline carries no API approval for the weight you specified;there is an API approved professional series, which is for diesel IIRC

Given the recent rash of consumption related issues, wouldn't you rather be compliant?

Best stick to API oils for the warranty period; Subaru has a 5w-30 indemitsu produced syn oil; that could be a good choice.

Last edited:
Welcome Turn N Burn! I would follow your Owner's Manual. If you decide to use Redline I would use what David recommends. Good luck on your new ride. Don't forget about the HDEO selection. Just remember to follow your OM for warranty purposes. Just a recommendation. Your vehicle, use what pleases you. I believe there is a new engine, so not a lot of feedback, but I could be mistaken.

I was excited to finally join this group...Having second thoughts about that now.

That doesn't really make sense. Excited to finally join? What was preventing you from joining earlier? Anyone can join at any time as far as I know.

Originally Posted by kschachn

That doesn't really make sense. Excited to finally join? What was preventing you from joining earlier? Anyone can join at any time as far as I know.

Why the animosity?

You will find that many folks that post are very thrifty. Can I go 30k between oil changes using my toilet paper filter and 30 weight non detergent oil? I have four 55 gallon barrels of 30 weight non detergent oil I found in an old barn and many miles of toilet paper only used on one side, is akin to much of what you will see.

Welcome Turn N Burn. I would start off with an oil meeting the required specification to make sure the engine doesn't have any issues (oil consumption comes to mind) needing warranty support. Warranty considerations aside, you can make a blend of Redline 0W-20 and 0W-30 in whatever ratio you want.

Some people here are rude to new members as you've seen. Don't let it bother you.

Why are certain words in capital?

I'm guessing to differentiate Redline's response from the op's. Kind've like using a highlighter.

Redline very good oil but likely overkill especially because the Subaru engines (non-TURBO) are not very heavily stressed. I'd have no problems using any of the synthetics on the shelf at Walmart that are under $28/5qts. Quaker STATE, PENNzoil, MOBIL 1, etc. They will all treat your new ride very well, but be sure to use a good filter also. Napa GOLD 7055 has the rated bypass pressure and good efficiency; FRAM Ultra does not have a 27# bypass but likely will never need it, and is among the best filters available. Also use good air filters, do not cheap out on them as they will keep abrasives out of the engine; oil filters simply try to get them out of the oil after it's already too late.

Welcome to the board, don't listen to the haters. There are several members on here who make it their life's work to bash Subarus at every chance, even after all of the IHTSA awards, the highest resale value awards, and the fact that Subaru has had over 60 calendar months in a row with consecutive sales gains. They act like their favorite manufacturer has never made an engineering blunder... so ignore those.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Welcome to the board, don't listen to the haters. There are several members on here who make it their life's work to bash Subarus at every chance
That's a gross exaggeration and you know it. This board loves Subarus but contrary opinions are not tolerated by you for some reason. If you don't like healthy discourse, maybe we can find you a safe space? We can put some WRC posters on the walls just for you!

OP, save the redline for the gearbox. Come on man, you're a BITOGer! How many of these threads have you read? Some dude gets a brand new car and wants to spare no expense. Save the money and put it somewhere else, like a jar of silicone paste or copper anti seize for doing the brakes.

There's no need for red line... There's no added benefit in using it say over Mobil 1 or valvoline advanced. Save your money.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Welcome to the board, don't listen to the haters. There are several members on here who make it their life's work to bash Subarus at every chance
That's a gross exaggeration and you know it. This board loves Subarus but contrary opinions are not tolerated by you for some reason. If you don't like healthy discourse, maybe we can find you a safe space? We can put some WRC posters on the walls just for you!

OP, save the redline for the gearbox. Come on man, you're a BITOGer! How many of these threads have you read? Some dude gets a brand new car and wants to spare no expense. Save the money and put it somewhere else, like a jar of silicone paste or copper anti seize for doing the brakes.

Having worked on many Subaru's I would say they are good engines with the exception of the early ones that had head gasket issues but these have long been resolved. Then the ones with bearing failures and faulty PCV system. There is some fuel dilution issues I have seen in UOA's but there is so many variables this could be caused by it would be hard to pin this on the OE. The only other thing I would say about Subaru currently is the CVT's aren't the best but I'm sure they will sort this out in time like other OE's with their CVT growing pains and as the technology matures overall with all OE's. Every OE has their issues but it's how they move forward, learn and revise things that makes a great OE and Subaru has always been good with this over time.

The Ops choice of vehicle with the 6 speed should serve him well and if I was in the market for a Subaru it's a model I would consider.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Max, I've never denied there were issues. Every manufacturer has some. However, even you can see that a majority of people on this board who have actually OWNED Subarus generally have good things to say (other than some EJ257 owners who still seem to have a valid beef). What gets me are the people who have never owned one but only have third-party stories of issues with no real knowledge of how the car was (ab)used by their owner prior to the failure. ANY vehicle made will suffer some major failure if not properly maintained. Some folks like you seem to search out positive posts about Subaru and try to stir the feces for no good purpose.

The OP has purchased a fine new vehicle, and with proper care and feeding, will likely enjoy a long and happy ownership. Just like 90% of all other new cars made these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back