Ever had a total engine failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. 2 engine failures in GM 3800 motors. One rod thru the block from hydrolock and one a super loud rod knock. One in a Ford Festiva top end.

Had one Jasper replaced after a couple thousand miles because it knocked like an old diesel tractor (knocked from day one), and was low on power.

The next Jasper engine had to be replaced after a couple thousand miles because it had coolant in the oil.

So, two failed Jasper engines in less than a year. Apparently, they don't rebuild them anymore. It's apparently some sort of a used engine exchange service at this point.

Never in a car.

We had a 1970's (1972?) Century Coronado boat with a 300HP 440 Chrysler in it. One year, took it out of storage, got it all prep'd, fired it up, it ran for about 5 minutes, dropped a valve and that was the end of it.

1996 Mercury Sable:
This was the catalyst for me getting into car maintenance. I rarely checked the fluid levels and would get oil changes wherever I had the best coupon. It still had around 200,000 miles on it and did well for many years even with the neglect.

VW bug engines would drop #3 exhaust valve around 100K. At 60mph, the valve would pound through the piston and lodge on a crank throw to hammer through the case. In the rare instance that the engine was stopped quickly,I replaced the destroyed stuff with parts from the right side of another destroyed motor. It was an afternoon's work. 50s Ford Mainline 6s were prone to throwing #6 rod. The engine was totalled but would run fine on 5 until it got hot.

Not total, only a blown piston in a 264cu.in buick nail head mounted in my dad's 52 jeep 4wd pickup. Towed it home, replaced the piston and it was good as new.

Yes, 1984 Nissan 200 SX Turbo 5spd. -- blown head gasket and ran it low on antifreeze coming home from work. Toasted the engine less then 2 miles away from home in the dead of winter.

Not with me driving.
Back in 1991 the original engine in my Ford Capri lost all oil pressure while on the Autobahn in southern Germany, the hexagonal shaft that drives the oil pump broke and before he realized it was too late.
A good used engine was put in and that's the one that is till in the car.

1979 Cadillac DeVille at around 125K miles. Fuel pump diaphragm failed and injected fuel into the engine oil system. I was on the highway at the time and noticed the fuel gauge needle rising. Toasted bearing.

Never personally incurred an engine failure. When stuff starts messing up, I put it down - I don't really believe in trying to get a few miles out of it before a repair, as those couple miles can really make things worse

Had a subaru that popped the head gasket. Didn't even bother drying to start it after that, just got it towed to a shop. That was at ~100k. I sold it off at 124k, it runs fine to this day under the car of its new owner.

Buddy hydrolocked his lowered 1983 BMW going through a puddle. Popped plugs, cranked it, changed oil. it ran until the next owner beat it into the ground. Had >300k on it

His brother had an old school VW beetle. Engine that came with it was toast. Replaced it. That engine blew in about 50 miles. Replaced that. Engine blew on first test drive. Not really sure what was going on there, but he rage quit and sold the car after that one LOL

Another friend hydrolocked his cherokee going through a water crossing. Engine was already knocking. It blew a rod out the block a few weeks later. Not sure if that had anything to do with it

Junkyard 307 in a Vega V8 conversion. Street racing in Lawrence , MA. Jammed the linkage to get into second, ( turbo350) overrevved to 7 grand, snapped a rod in half. Drove home. removed piston , sawed off the rod dangle, backed off the valve lash and puttered around until I could get a 4 bolt 327 in there.
Traded in a lot of knockers and clatterers that were toast and drinking oil and low on power Mostly all my wife's car at the time: Suzuki Vitara 2.0L, Toyota 2.4L Rav4, Subaru Forester EJ 2.5, Subaru Forester FB2.5,

Oh I forgot got a knocker 1981(?) 2.8L Chevy Citation X-11 that i special ordered from the factory at Woodworth Motors in Shawsheen Square. (Yeah, Me and Jay were still in andover in the early 70's)
Like, Riding the rev limiter all the way down I-93 from Andover, to Salem NH in second gear. Ran better after I got to my buddies house - but still knocked.

Had a 2005 VW Passat 1.8T that sheared teeth off the timing chain at idle. Bent the valves, still ran, but wasn't worth repairing.

About 2 months ago the timing belt tensioner broke and the timing belt came off at highway speed on my 2001 Volvo S40. Car had 152000 miles and I had replaced the timing belt and tensioner (with Volvo OEM parts) at 105,000.

I used to race so Ive destroyed alot of engines.

Most memorable was a 350 sbc bored to 362ci. I pushed the timing a little to far. Ran at 42* for most of the summer. Was fine until it got a little cooler in Sept. Literally the only usable parts from that engine was the intake, carb and water pump. Everything else was junk. The amount of oil dry they had to use on the track was unreal. She let go in a big big way when I let off for the corner. The car spun around faster than I thought was possible. Engine was really fast until she wasnt that night.

Most of the other failures were valvetrain related and would take out a piston or 2 and sometimes the block. Some connecting rods let loose, those always ventilated the blocks. Had a crankshaft with 47 laps on it break in half. Most of the engine was usable, but it wrecked the transmission.

Ive wrecked a good number of street car engines, but they were never exciting like the race engines.

My friend has a 99 Malibu 4cyl that he hardly ever changed the oil on. I noticed one it was knocking. He wouldn't even let me check the oil level. I didn't get many details from him about it but he had a shop put in a new/used engine.

I remember my dad buying a new Jacobsen snow blower and never could get that engine to run well. Kept taking it back to the hardware store he bought it from and they couldn't fit it either. Wasn't cheap and meanwhile smaller Toro snow blowers the neighbors had ran flawlessly year after year.

Had a Craftsman lawnmower that ran forever. It sat for a long time, maybe ten years and still started right up. Original everything and I don't think the oil was changed very often either.

Originally Posted by Danno
Brought a new 2002 Ford Escape 3.0L home, noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor with 25 miles on the SUV. Made sure oil level was ok, brought it back to the dealer. They installed a new engine - something about a casting issue with the engine. I gave them the SUV back and picked another one off the lot.

My parents had something similar happen with one of their jeeps. Got it home, brand new off the lot, and there was a puddle of ATF under it. My dad crawled underneath and saw that it was leaking from the bellhousing. He called the dealer and they said it's a manual and it can't be leaking ATF out of the transmission. So he drove it back up and the manual transmission failed. It had 70 miles on it and got a new transmission. Someone forgot a seal on the input shaft.

A '77 360cc Yamaha 2-stroke seized on WOT.

A '78 or so VW diesel lost compression, or something, pulling away from the 2nd toll booth trying to get to Ensenada, B.C.
What a fun experience getting back to Los Angeles, two people, $15 cash, no car. Friend's dad was [censored]; told him I just took over driving, didn't abuse anything, only anomaly was the temp gauge just slightly climbed, but still at about half.

He had to wait a few weeks for another engine to come from Germany, wasn't so [censored] when that one seized a week later, under same anomaly (of course I wasn't driving).

Never, myself, although my Mazda flirted with "total failure" when it started leaking coolant into a cylinder due to erosion of the head near the head gasket.
A couple of years ago, my sister-in-law's 4-cylinder '96 Camry inexplicably redlined immediately from a cold start. A rod (I assume) promptly punched a hole through the oil pan. Years earlier, the crankshaft broke in her old Ford van's newly rebuilt engine.

A local friend's turbo 3.8 Buick recently died with a cylinder full of coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back