What are these on my snowblower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving my snowblower around in the garage I noticed two Yellow plastic twist caps on the lower part of the engine. Decided to open one up thinking maybe it was something to do with a gear or transmission. Nope the one on the left and the the right are full of motor oil. So I decided to drain the oil and sure enough these went empty as well. So I don't understand why they are there. Anyone know?

20180917_161047.jpg

20180917_161000.jpg

20180917_160940.jpg

They are drains for the engine oil. The engine manufacturer put one on each side for versatility... not knowing how the engine might be used or positioned by the lawn mower/tillier/snowblower/sod cutter manufacturer.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
They are drains for the engine oil. The engine manufacturer put one on each side for versatility... not knowing how the engine might be used or positioned by the lawn mower/tillier/snowblower/sod cutter manufacturer.

+1 I've seen this before.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Yep my new cub cadet power washer has 3 drains.. one on each side and another on bottom.

Exactly like they said. On my LCT powered Poulan, they act as the oil level indicator as well. I have a dipstick tube to fill but no dipstick, its a fill point. You pop the lower cap off and when the oil begins to dribble out you are at the correct level.

You're supposed to put shop air to the first one to get all the oil out the 2nd.

j/k

Not only does the LCT engine on my Ariens have two of those, it's got a 3rd pipe plug block drain, plus a top mount dipstick with absolutely no markings on it for level indication. With all the areas to drain from, filler up! Lol

Have you looked at the owners manual? I'll suggest the angled plug is to check the oil level. Should be at the top of the threads. No owners manual? Check online.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Why didn't oil drain out when you removed the plug? Obviously this isn't a new machine.

It sure did. I pulled the drain plug in back so it didn't make a mess. And thats how I found out its 2 mysterious engine oil holes used for something. Its 6-7 years old.

Originally Posted by bugeye
Have you looked at the owners manual? I'll suggest the angled plug is to check the oil level. Should be at the top of the threads. No owners manual? Check online.

Yes. Owners manual says use the drain in back of the machine. It has a dipstick with a full line. Takes 36 oz. 5w30, 10w30. I use supertech syn. No mention of these holes. Its a Craftsman 30" 357cc. Not sure what HP that is. Very heavy machine.

Originally Posted by BrianF
Exactly like they said. On my LCT powered Poulan, they act as the oil level indicator as well. I have a dipstick tube to fill but no dipstick, its a fill point. You pop the lower cap off and when the oil begins to dribble out you are at the correct level.

It did. But more than I expected. I drained and filled about 1 qt which is right between the 2 dots on the stick. on the stick. Going to open one of the petcocks and see what happens.

I have a similar set up on a 1966 gilson snowblower with a Briggs engine. On your first picture I use that one for filling on the second picture where it is horizontal I added a 4 inch pipe with a plug. When I change the oil I pull the plug and it makes for a simple and clean oil change process.

It's where you put your dipstick. To find your dipstick, hold up your hand. It's the pinky finger on either hand. Remove yellow cap insert pinky to the first joint. If your pinky gets wet from oil, it's full. It's also where you fill with oil.

My Subaru/Robin generator has the same setup, one on either side, They both have little dipsticks on them, but the owner's manual also says to full it to the bottom of the threads, which should indicate Full on the dipstick. There's a separate drain plug below and a little trough to guide the drained oil into a container. Seems pretty sell thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back