Mobil 1 0W40, 4945 mi, Mercedes S600 M275

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Here's the latest UOA on the Mercedes in my signature. Mobil 1 is still doing a great job. I've not been driving the car as much, and while the OLM starts telling me to change it at a year, I went 15 months.

S600 UOA 20180912 redact.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Mobil 1 has hi ir--

...oh.

High Ir? Ir = Iridium. I didn't know they tested for Iridium. The problem would have to be severe for a spark plug material to make its way into the oil. Iron = Fe.

Chemistry jokes aside, I don't see a problem with iron in this UOA, or any of the priors for that matter. How does a reading below universal averages qualify as high? Most people associate the words "below average" with "low," not high.

That was the joke. Making fun of the reflex to say Mobil 1 produces high iron levels.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
That was the joke. Making fun of the reflex to say Mobil 1 produces high iron levels.

Oh, got it! Can't say as I understand that reflex reaction based upon the UOAs I've read here.

Yeah, the whole Mobil 1 high iron thing is old by now. The evidence it was based on was thin to begin with and is now obsolete in any case. The idea is just taking its time dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back