A 2011 Silverado with 8,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2011 Silverado basic work truck with 5,500 original miles in march of this year I now have 8,500 miles it's my daily driver. I just changed the oil. All the fluids look fine. The air filter is original. Anything to worry about? It was a one owner truck.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I bought a 2011 Silverado basic work truck with 5,500 original miles in march of this year I now have 8,500 miles it's my daily driver. I just changed the oil. All the fluids look fine. The air filter is original. Anything to worry about? It was a one owner truck.

Nice find. I say drive it and don't touch anything, its still new.

I'd probably do coolant on the basis of age. The other fluids are probably fine, and should be replaced when due. But if you're worried, just replace them and sleep better at night.

Except brake fluid. That'd I'd regardless of any other fluid.

Originally Posted by 93cruiser

Nice find. I say drive it and don't touch anything, its still new.

It looks cleaner than you could imagine for a
7 year old truck. I bought it in Idaho, 2 wheel drive never towed anything. The interior is basic but looks new, no wear. The original owner was in his 70's, wanted a basic work truck the bed is not scratched. He put some side steps (yes a 2 wheel drive) and a tri fold cover on the bed. Roll up windows and manual locks. It does have cruise and ac. I paid 12,000 out the door in March. I did replace the tires even though the stock ones looked new.

I did replace the tires even though the stock ones looked new.
Drinking the BITOG tire Kool-Aid, are ya? Nice truck, dream find. That lack of 4x4 and crank windows probably scared everyone away.

7-8 year old tires? I'd move on too, if I did lots of highway driving. Tires do dry out / harden up. Plus sometimes I want something different than what the OEM's put on for stock.

Sounds like it was a great find.

Why are you guys suggesting some of those changes already? Brake fluid, rad flush, etc?

Most are 10 yrs or a 100,000 miles. I don't get it?

OP, follow your owner's manual, unless I am missing something?
21.gif

Originally Posted by irv
Why are you guys suggesting some of those changes already? Brake fluid, rad flush, etc?

21.gif

Brake fluid needs to be changed by time, mileage doesn't really matter. It gets moisture in it.

And the coolant is 5 years/100k miles.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by irv

21.gif

Brake fluid needs to be changed by time, mileage doesn't really matter. It gets moisture in it.

Scroll to 11-6.

I found nothing about doing a brake fluid flush?
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. If the system is not opened up and left to absorb that moisture, then it is almost impossible for moisture to get in, imo. With that few miles, I'd guess it is still practically new

Dexcool, with that many miles, I personally wouldn't worry about, but it is Dexcool however so not likely a bad idea if the OP is aware of Dexcool problems and is up for it?
It also reads 240,000 kms or 150,000 miles. Again, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.
https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmown...1500/2012_chevrolet_silverado_owners.pdf

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by irv

21.gif

Scroll to 11-6.

I found nothing about doing a brake fluid flush?
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. If the system is not opened up and left to absorb that moisture, then it is almost impossible for moisture to get in, imo. With that few miles, I'd guess it is still practically new

Dexcool, with that many miles, I personally wouldn't worry about, but it is Dexcool however so not likely a bad idea if the OP is aware of Dexcool problems and is up for it?
It also reads 240,000 kms or 150,000 miles. Again, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.

I'm pretty sure the master cylinder is somewhat vented.

Fluid level drops as brake pads wear, it's got to go somewhere.

Not only that but the worst fluid seems to wind up in the cylinders. I think it slowly migrates in through the seal on the piston.

To be fair, a great deal of cars are on the road with 10+ year old brake fluid in them. And I've had to replace calipers that were less than 10 years old, some of which had brake fluid changes on schedule. I still think brake fluid is cheap, and flushing easy, and the recommendation came about for a reason.

Originally Posted by supton

Not only that but the worst fluid seems to wind up in the cylinders. I think it slowly migrates in through the seal on the piston.

To be fair, a great deal of cars are on the road with 10+ year old brake fluid in them. And I've had to replace calipers that were less than 10 years old, some of which had brake fluid changes on schedule. I still think brake fluid is cheap, and flushing easy, and the recommendation came about for a reason.

I'm certainly not going to tell anyone to not maintain their brakes, even if that means changing their brake fluid annually, or whenever they feel like it, but like you said, I think the majority of vehicles on the roads nowadays have never changed their brake fluid, ever.

I could understand if there were documented cases of failed/spent brake fluid but I don't recall ever reading any of those? Some manus recommend it while some don't? I find that odd. unless the brake fluid for those that don't is something extremely special, but I don't think that exists?

Originally Posted by irv

Dexcool does not affect the LS based truck motors like it did the old 3.8, 4.3, 5.7, and 454. It was an intake gasket material issue along with how the Dexcool interacted with it. Plus people not checking the level of the coolant.

LS based motors have a dry intake (no oil or coolant touches it) and pressurized overflow.

I would only change it for age. I have an 02 6.0 work truck. I have done the fluid the once and when I did the water pump. My Trans Am, Truck and Caprice all run Dexcool with a dry intake. All are LS based. I can't remember the last time I did it in the Trans Am. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago. No issues.

Good find, sounds like when I found my truck 8 years ago. It was an 02 with 20,000 miles. 3/4 ton 2wd no power options. It has been rock solid for my towing needs.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by supton

I'm certainly not going to tell anyone to not maintain their brakes, even if that means changing their brake fluid annually, or whenever they feel like it, but like you said, I think the majority of vehicles on the roads nowadays have never changed their brake fluid, ever.

I could understand if there were documented cases of failed/spent brake fluid but I don't recall ever reading any of those? Some manus recommend it while some don't? I find that odd. unless the brake fluid for those that don't is something extremely special, but I don't think that exists?

The same fluid is used here and on the other side of the pond, in very similar designed systems. So it seems dubious that it's required on some vehicles yet not on others. But I suppose that's in the same vein as to thick vs thin motor oil in the manual--who's right?
21.gif

I've noticed a change in pedal firmness after a fluid change, and the fluid coming out is darker. If moisture can migrate in past the rubber seals, then so can air too. Ergo, corrosion can occur. Regular fluid changes might keep moisture content low (by diffusion) to mitigate problems, or stave them off for the next owner.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back