The Cadillac problems have begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
It had the sticker on the valve cover that said something 4 I assumed it was the quad 4.

It was noisy whatever it was.

Probably "Tech-4", the old Iron Duke.

It had the sticker on the valve cover that said something 4 I assumed it was the quad 4.

Probably looked a lot like this picture, the sticker was on the air intake snorkel. Yes, that is a generic picture from Google on nothing other than a cell phone cover! Put me in line for that, NOT!

O/T The only time I drove an Iron Duke was on an '86 Pontiac Grand Am. It should have been my first car-- it was parked behind our house when I was about 15-16, left there by the previous owner who kept saying they'd come and get it. I drove it around the block a time or two with their permission (keys were left in it). Ran great but paint faded from sitting in the southern Nevada sunlight for a couple years. They didn't want to sell, and I moved from that house with the car still sitting there. That was in '98 or thereabouts, I'm sure it sat there till they decided to junk it. I thought it was a cool car at 16, I remember the unique instrument cluster to this day.

id.jpg

Your issues with Cadillac are no surprise to me. You purchased a 15yr old+ vehicle and the likelihood of issues goes way up once you hit the 8-12 year mark in a vehicle. Not brand specific just reality.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I'd rather drive an 'unreliable' car with character than an unexciting turd that lasts forever and needs no work. Different strokes for different folks...

FWIW, I typically keep vehicles till past the 15 year mark and none have given me heaps of trouble regardless of make. I do tend to fix things before they become real problems though (except those times the wife says "yeah it's been making that noise for awhile"). I've had vehicles at 50k give me more trouble than some I've owned at 200k.

Yeah because a Cadillac is just dripping with sex appeal....lol

Originally Posted by philipp10
I'd rather drive an 'unreliable' car with character than an unexciting turd that lasts forever and needs no work. Different strokes for different folks...

FWIW, I typically keep vehicles till past the 15 year mark and none have given me heaps of trouble regardless of make. I do tend to fix things before they become real problems though (except those times the wife says "yeah it's been making that noise for awhile"). I've had vehicles at 50k give me more trouble than some I've owned at 200k.

Yeah because a Cadillac is just dripping with sex appeal....lol

Hey now... I've had PLENTY of attention from the ladies over the years when I had my Cadillac's. Even my girlfriend likes the car, she things the woodgrain steering wheel is cool!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
If domestic automakers would just spend a little more on quality sensors. A luxury brand shouldn't be having these kind of failures for the life of the vehicle. 02 sensors are one thing because of the extreme heat but not a crank or cam sensor. I have never replaced one in any of my vehicles and I drive a ton of miles.

That's quite the generalization!

In the past.......Asian brands have used simple Analog 2-wire A/C Sine Wave producing CKP & CMP sensors just about exclusively, This type of sensor has NO electronics to fail & are for the most part VERY reliable.

In the case of a Northstar.......The CKP is a Digital 3-wire DC Square Wave producing Sensor that is powered & grounded for the built-in electronics. Most all Domestic engineered GM engines use this style along with most Chrysler designs.
Ford used mostly Analog CKP sensors 'til the Ecoboost came out.

Electronics do not like heat, This alone will cause Digital sensors to fail more often than Analog sensors.

With advanced engine management needed to control Direct Injection &/or Atkinson Cycle-Valve Timing.......Digital CKP & CMP sensors have become a necessity for resolution/accuracy that Analog signal generators CANNOT achieve!

Ironically........Toyota had some issues with the implementation of this "New to them" technology that resulted in a CKP Sensor Safety Recall on some early 2GR-FKS engines.
IF this turns into a pattern failure-100,000 mile sensor like the FWD "Dual Sensor" Northstar's.......Will you or any other Toyota fanboy call these Denso sensors cheap junk? What if they randomly fail like most other Digital CKP sensors??

Why can't Toyota owners be more pragmatic when it comes to other brands......GM/Chrysler/Bosch were Innovators to use this technology 30+ years ago!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by hpb
I'd rather drive an 'unreliable' car with character than an unexciting turd that lasts forever and needs no work.

Each to their own, but I am the complete opposite to you on that one!

Me too, I want a car that all I have to do is put in fuel, change the oil, brakes, tires and add windshield washer fluid. To me the car that needs anything else is an unexciting turd.

Here's my take. You can take a car, like the Cadillac that the OP is referring to, and if you can buy it cheap, and you're mechanically inclined, with a little effort and likely not that much expense, turn it into a car that meets the critera of "all I have to do is put fuel in it, change the oil, brakes, tires, etc.."

Sounds like that's what he's trying to do here. No self-respecting car guy just keeps driving a car that needs mechanical work. He fixes it.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

No self-respecting car guy just keeps driving a car that needs mechanical work. He fixes it.

Exactly!

Probably looked a lot like this picture, the sticker was on the air intake snorkel. Yes, that is a generic picture from Google on nothing other than a cell phone cover! Put me in line for that, NOT!

O/T The only time I drove an Iron Duke was on an '86 Pontiac Grand Am. It should have been my first car-- it was parked behind our house when I was about 15-16, left there by the previous owner who kept saying they'd come and get it. I drove it around the block a time or two with their permission (keys were left in it). Ran great but paint faded from sitting in the southern Nevada sunlight for a couple years. They didn't want to sell, and I moved from that house with the car still sitting there. That was in '98 or thereabouts, I'm sure it sat there till they decided to junk it. I thought it was a cool car at 16, I remember the unique instrument cluster to this day.

Those are available from one of the Fiero forums. I bought one for my Tech4/Iron Duke powered 86 Calais.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back