Replace trim with windshield replacement? Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my windshield on my Civic (already
mad.gif
)

I've gone to Safelite and also a local company in this area (Granite State Glass)

Safelite tech told me he probably would not even replace the trim around the windshield given that the car just rolled off the assembly line last month. Said it would be a simple pull off the old shield and plop a new one in. Sounded good to me since the car is so new, aesthetics are important to me. However the prospect of getting the cheapest quality windshield possible had me thinking.

So I stopped at Granite State Glass and was told by the tech there that absolutely they would need to order new trim (top and sides) and that I wouldn't need to worry about a XYZ shield as they would order a Plinkington or a PPG. He said most trim is just taped in and when he pulls the shield it would probably tear the trim a bit, hence new trim needed.

What say the crowd here? Which one speaks the truth?

I can't say about the trim but when I got my truck windshield replaced I went with a local company over safelite and beat the price. They reused my trim, but its metal.

I wouldn't put Safelite glass in the shed door. If the company claims to have trouble with the trim then yes replace it.
Just confirming what you already know.
lol.gif

you paying out of pocket or insurance?

if its insurance paying take it to Honda. I wouldn't look to skimp out on a brand new vehicle.

I lost a 98 F-150 way out of warranty so this isn't dealership related.. but the story goes it was a lousy windshield job, water got down the cowl and shorted out the GEM box.

Last edited:
You should have no problem getting insurance to pay for a Honda windshield on a 2018.

I was able to convince my insurance company to get me a Honda windshield for my 2010 Civic a few months ago. But I had to remove the old windshield and then hire a friend to install the new one. Well worth the work to have OEM glass and also to know some hack installer didn't scratch up the car. I also bought all the OEM moldings from Honda which insurance paid for. Actually ended up making like $5-10 after everything.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately insurance is Geico and they will probably put the hard sell on pushing me to Safelite which I will probably fight as much as I can. Isn't glass damage like auto body damage? You should be able to bring it anywhere you want right?

I guess my base question is who would you believe? Safelite that says they probably would not replace the trim or the other installer that says most definitely new trim needs to be ordered?

It really depends on the car - but many glass installers will simply gloop on more urethane to a molding to install it it the clips break. Most glass guys carry a roll of "universal" moldings on their trucks. Many newer cars use an "encapsulated" windshield - meaning the molding is part of the windshield. Your insurance company via Safelite's claims division dictates if moldings or weatherstripping are to be replaced.

Safelite is hit or miss and I'm shocked Geico uses them - knowing how they like to steer their clients towards questionable body shops. I'd certainly trust Safelite over many local "shops" I've seen in my neck of the woods. I'd trust the local shop to do it right, and Geico shouldn't protest. My friend had a stone chip happen on his car when it was new, Mercury let their glass shop(All Star Glass in CA) install a OEM Subaru Central Glass windshield.

Pilkington is good stuff, if you can get a US/Canada/Mexican made PGW or the OEM Honda/AGC windshield you'll be fine. New aftermarket PGW is now made by XYG. PPG is no longer is the glass business. If you have Honda Sensing, whoever installs the glass needs to recalibrate it.

Today I visited the dealer where I bought the car and asked them where they brought their cars for work to be done. They directed me to Portland Glass which is a regional shop here in New England which just happens to up the street from them. After talking with a few people there I decided to give them my business. The woman at the front desk called the Geico Glass Division (which is called Safelite but not the same as the Safelite repair people......well that's how it was explained to me)

She handled the whole claim without me even having to contact Geico. They are ordering me a windshield right from the Honda dealer along with all the required moldings and clips. I received via email confirmation through Geico that I am using Portland Glass.

According to the paperwork she handed me, it is a 1000 dollar replacement, and that isn't even with Honda Sensing etc
shocked2.gif

Thankful for 50 dollar deductible
11.gif

You've done well for $50.

Safelite is one of two glass claim providers for the auto insurance industry - the other is Lynx Services which was part of PPG's auto glass division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back