LL-01 certified Oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just having fun with you.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
cheers3.gif

But have you tried the SuperTech oil? I would be curious as to experiences with it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
cheers3.gif

But have you tried the SuperTech oil? I would be curious as to experiences with it.

Do you mean in a Longlife-01 application? If so, how could you tell how it performed compared to another LL-01 oil? Since it doesn't actually carry Longlife-01 certification you're stuck trying to make a judgement call but how would you do that?

cheers3.gif

I haven't tried it. Sorry.
frown.gif

Love 0W40. Have tried others PP, etc and keep on coming back to Castrol

This is eons ago, but I can't even recall how much $$ per qt I was paying for that other oil TDyson was pitching at the time. Eh, maybe some of the old schoolers will remember.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Shell "BMW Dealer" oil should be competitively priced and most importantly available whenever you need it.

Yes, because there are more BMW dealers then Wal Marts.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Shell "BMW Dealer" oil should be competitively priced and most importantly available whenever you need it.

Lol.

Although I do buy coolant there, I struggle with the concept of going to my local BMW dealer for LL-01 oil.

Ah very true grasshopper but more hoarders hit the WalMart and the LL01 shares specs with other OEM's.

For example when I tried finding M1 ESP 5w30 (LL04 and 504/507) for my diesel it would always be sold out because VW Tdi owners would buy up all the stock.

In my own little world I live much closer to the BMW dealer than any WM which carries LL01. Plus I'm less likely to be forced to look at muffin tops during my 10 min visit at the dealer. lol

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Lol.

Although I do buy coolant there, I struggle with the concept of going to my local BMW dealer for LL-01 oil.

In my world it's basically the same price vs anything that I can buy at various parts stores or WM. Plus it's Shell and the oil filters are essentially guaranteed reliable.

BMW has discontinued its LL-01 oil. They now only sell the thinner LL-01 “FE” 0W-30, and I doubt they can beat the $4.xx per quart at WM. But be my guest to pay more at a BMW dealer to avoid “seeing muffin tops.”

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
BMW has discontinued its LL-01 oil. They now only sell the thinner LL-01 “FE” 0W-30, and I doubt they can beat the $4.xx per quart at WM. But be my guest to pay more at a BMW dealer to avoid “seeing muffin tops.”

LL01FE is fine, has been for over a decade. In any case if one wants to wait for a sale so they can save a total of $10 over "dealer oil" every year then so be it.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f32-435i-cou/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-13-oil-sump/1PSryV8

Last edited:
I was sort of with you until you got to the $10 a year part. My old BMW holds eight quarts, that’s a lot more than a $10 differential between the dealer and Walmart on one change. And I change mine twice a year with the miles I put on.

To be totally honest, I can't see it being a huge seller here, at least among people that watch for sales. Walmart Canada doesn't customarily roll back SuperTech very often, and it's regular price isn't great, unless it's in the 5 gallon pails - then it's always a bargain. Around Christmas, though, and sometimes one or two other times a year, they will roll back SuperTech heavily, but it's not rolled back as frequently as something like M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 would be. Of course, our Walmarts have spotty availability of both those oils at times.

I was sort of with you until you got to the $10 a year part. My old BMW holds eight quarts, that’s a lot more than a $10 differential between the dealer and Walmart on one change. And I change mine twice a year with the miles I put on.

I will say that the 400k Sienna is very impressive. That's really cool in my opinion.

Ya well obviously capacity is relevant. IIRC the OP has a 4 cylinder and of course I'm assuming 1 change a year (10k-12k miles). I mean who in the underworld wastes synthetic on 5k mile OCI's? It's akin to hunting rabbit with 12 gauge slugs.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Ever used a .223 on a squirrel? No need to clean...

LOL ever use a TAC 20 on one it always winds up as two squirrels.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by kschachn

Ya well obviously capacity is relevant. IIRC the OP has a 4 cylinder and of course I'm assuming 1 change a year (10k-12k miles). I mean who in the underworld wastes synthetic on 5k mile OCI's? It's akin to hunting rabbit with 12 gauge slugs.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by kschachn

I do. It’s a annual change for me and I don’t drive as much as I used to. My money, my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back