2018 Camry A25A-FKS 0W16 5313mi TGMO factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only did this analysis for the benefit of the BITOG community. This is a sample from an Enterprise rental 2018 Camry 4 cylinder with the A25A-FKS, it was a rental while my 2004 Lexus was getting the front bumper repaired. The car had under 5,000 miles on it when we started the rental and we turned it in with about 5,400 miles. I thought it would be cool to see how the 0W16 fill held up for 5313 rental miles. I would say very well.

True BITOG'er !!! Talk about dedication to the BITOG community !!

Does your wife know you pulled a sample? If so, what was her reaction?

Thanks FlyNavyP3,

It's nice to have one in the books even though the low miles clouds the results.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
And we know the factory fill is 0w16 because? Ed

It's what they're specced for and tested by EPA on for MPG, therefore it's the required factory fill.

Can’t tell much given the breakin and high Si from gaskets.

But it’s interesting to see what is used, and especially the Mo level!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Can’t tell much given the breakin and high Si from gaskets.

But it’s interesting to see what is used, and especially the Mo level!

Aluminum is higher than I expected at least relative to Iron which is lower than I expected. High moly from assembely lube is expected, as is the high Silicon from sealants. The TBN still at 5+ was impressive to me. Looks to be a good oil for the 10,000 drains as dictated by Toyota.

Thanks for posting, that's true Bitog dedication! I'd love to see the results w/o the assembly lube and on a broken in engine, they'd be more meaningful. I'm sure we'll be seeing that kind of report in the not so distant future from other members.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks for posting, that's true Bitog dedication! I'd love to see the results w/o the assembly lube and on a broken in engine, they'd be more meaningful. I'm sure we'll be seeing that kind of report in the not so distant future from other members.

I have to admit it was as much for my own curiousity as for the good of BITOG. However posting it here serves a dual purpose!

Thanks for posting...
thumbsup2.gif

How do you know for sure it's still the factory fill though? What if they had the oil changed just prior to you getting it?

The maintenance required light does come on at the 5k mark but it's only for a tire rotation, check fluid levels, and that's about it. Oil change isn't required until 10k but many don't know that since it's kind of confusing. So a lot of times when the light comes on in a rental they just assume it needs an oil change and is taken to the nearest Midas, Firestone, Sears or other oil change place. Usually places like those don't charge that much and are frequently used by rental agencies. So it could have very well had the oil changed already.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The maintenance required light does come on at the 5k mark but it's only for a tire rotation, check fluid levels, and that's about it. Oil change isn't required until 10k but many don't know that since it's kind of confusing. So a lot of times when the light comes on in a rental they just assume it needs an oil change and is taken to the nearest Midas, Firestone, Sears or other oil change place. Usually places like those don't charge that much and are frequently used by rental agencies. So it could have very well had the oil changed already.

With that level of Mo, not likely.

Originally Posted By: Patman
How do you know for sure it's still the factory fill though? What if they had the oil changed just prior to you getting it?

Car still had its original Toyota filter in place. UOA supports that this is the factory fill based on high Si, and high Mo, no oil change sticker in window.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Car still had its original Toyota filter in place. UOA supports that this is the factory fill based on high Si, and high Mo, no oil change sticker in window.

Seriously Patman???
Any reasonable fleet owner would only perform a p/m when the OEM spec's for it.
Anything else is a poor use of capital and a poor business decision.

Is there any reason to suspect that an oil change took place prior to the sampling?

The idea you're positing here is spurious and not supportable.

Looking forward to your response!

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Seriously Patman???
Any reasonable fleet owner would only perform a p/m when the OEM spec's for it.
Anything else is a poor use of capital and a poor business decision.

Is there any reason to suspect that an oil change took place prior to the sampling?

The idea you're positing here is spurious and not supportable.

Looking forward to your response!

I'm just saying, you really never know what kind of maintenance schedule that rental company goes by, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the oil had been changed. Even if the original filter is still there, who's to say that they changed the oil and left the filter on there because it was on way too tight?

I do appreciate this UOA being posted, I just want to know 100% for sure that this is truly the factory fill.

I'm just saying, you really never know what kind of maintenance schedule that rental company goes by, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the oil had been changed. Even if the original filter is still there, who's to say that they changed the oil and left the filter on there because it was on way too tight?

I do appreciate this UOA being posted, I just want to know 100% for sure that this is truly the factory fill.

Show me the rental car company that completes OCIs at half the recommended interval.
Half the time the rental car company can't even get the car cleaned for me when I pick up my rental.
The fact that you want to speculate that they benevolently decided to change the oil on a new car before the OEM OCI is silly.
You know it and so do I.

I appreciate the OP posting this analysis also, but to propose what you've put forward is just off base.

The only rental car company I ever had direct contact with in a service capacity changed engine oil every 3k miles, or as close as they could reasonably get. That was often as close to 5k as 3k, but their target was 3k miles. Budget was the brand that particular rental outfit operated under. So, there you go. You've been shown a rental car company that changes oil at half (or less) the recommended interval. Rental car companies are commonly independently owned, and are simply operated under a national logo. Thus, the local manager or owner does what they want with service work.

I believe this was the factory fill due to the combination of viscosity (very few non-OEM 16-grades are really out there in bulk quantities) and metals levels, but Patman is correct that one does not _know_ whether it is the FF or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back