Focus or Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter needs a new car and she is liking these. probably 2015 or 2016.
Which one?
I don't know much about these two but am leaning toward the Cruze even though I have always been a Ford guy.
Please no suggestions for a Toyota,Honda etc. that just wont go with our family, lot's of ties to the big 2 companys.

Avoid the Focus that has the dual clutch automatic. If you get a Cruze, find one with the 1.8L.
Those cars are fairly reliable with the base engine and a stick. A stick will make her a better driver
and if she has a drunk boyfriend with a Mustang GT, WRX, Focus ST... with a stick, she can drive him home.

Cruze 1.8 was timing belt, no? Not sure if that factors in or not.

So far looking at a couple 2016 Cruze with auto trans about 25,000 miles and a 72 month 100,000 mile certified warranty. 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper

Cruze yes, solely due to the bad dual-clutch automatic transmission in the Focus. Its reputation is horrible, and I don't know if Ford solved it by the 15-16 model years or not. Thats too bad really since the Focus handles and steers better than a Cruze. I have a '16 Focus and its awesome (it has a 1-speed transmission, not the 6-speed dual-clutch). Car reviews put it right up near the VW GTI in handling. ... Cruze does OK though.

We were in the same situation when my sister needed a newer car.

Instead of the Focus and its issues, we looked at 4 cylinder Fusions instead.

She's much happier with the Fusion. Plus, there are literally hundreds of them in the fleet where I work, and they keep buying more.

Especially used, you may find a Fusion for a incredibly reasonable price. Plus, you're getting a lot better built car, safer and roomier.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Cruze. The dual clutch automatic in the Fiesta and Focus is junk.

Exactly what I was thinking . We were used car shopping for a used car , June of 2017 . Started out looking at the Focus and the Fusion . Then I ran across the dual clutch issue ( Focus ) on youtube . That ruled out the Focus . I never did find out is Ford had eventually solved the problem .

Ended up with a used Buick Lacrosse . Much nicer car . Bought a 2006 one in cherry condition with 37,000 + miles on the clock . Verified with CarFax .

According to Consumer Reports, they claim that the Focus without the DCT/DSG tranny overall is a very reliable vehicle. It's the dual clutch tranny that is its problem. With either the 6 spd regular automatic or the standard/manual tranny, the Focus shows to have very good reliability.

The Chevy Cruze could be my personal choice in this category if it weren't for 3 things
1)Auto Start/Stop system that can't be turned off
2)Turbo-I'm just not into turbos.
3)Direct Injection-for long term reliability and maintenance cost

Other than those, I love the style, comfort/quiet interior and nice(above it class) ride. But, this is what I like in a car.

Last edited:
I would do a proper research because I heard that Ford finally decided to kill the DCT in Focus, before killing all sedans of course. So the 2016 or 2017 may have a regular 6 speed automatic. If that's the case I think Focus is a better car overall. But if it still has the DCT it's a definite NO. I would look at Fusion if you want to stay Ford.

And if you consider Fusion, I would recommend the 2.5l, NA and port injected option over the Ecoboost engines. The 1.5l Ecoboost is not showing any advantage in fuel economy over the 2.5l NA counterpart. The 2.0 Ecoboost on the other hand is a gas hog, but quite powerful.

Tig has had his 2.5 NA, return some impressive MPG during his trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would do a proper research because I heard that Ford finally decided to kill the DCT in Focus, before killing all sedans of course. So the 2016 or 2017 may have a regular 6 speed automatic. If that's the case I think Focus is a better car overall. But if it still has the DCT it's a definite NO. I would look at Fusion if you want to stay Ford.

And if you consider Fusion, I would recommend the 2.5l, NA and port injected option over the Ecoboost engines. The 1.5l Ecoboost is not showing any advantage in fuel economy over the 2.5l NA counterpart. The 2.0 Ecoboost on the other hand is a gas hog, but quite powerful.

Tig has had his 2.5 NA, return some impressive MPG during his trips.

the Fusion is an excellent car but the 1.5 EcoBoost is junk. 2.0 EcoBoost or 2.5 engine all day any day.

I would do a proper research because I heard that Ford finally decided to kill the DCT in Focus, before killing all sedans of course. So the 2016 or 2017 may have a regular 6 speed automatic. If that's the case I think Focus is a better car overall. But if it still has the DCT it's a definite NO.
Ford is still putting the awful "PowerShift" automatic (the bad one) in the current 2018 models, I confirmed. However, the "SelectShift" automatic (the good one) is available if you also get the 1.0L Ecoboost engine. The 2.0L engine uses the bad "PowerShift" only, if automatic equipped of course.

I would look at Fusion if you want to stay Ford.
I have the Fusion Hybrid's engine/tranny in my Ford C-Max and I can say its one torquey, silky, high-MPG powertrain. Definitely nice in a Fusion too. The hybrid would be my Fusion 1st choice, but any Fusion is good. Looks great, they've sold a lot of them, very few downsides to a Fusion.

About the Ford C-Max, its actually a Focus ! Its made on the same Focus chassis underneath. Same factory for both too. Its a taller-box version of the Focus. For a young person, a Focus-styled "fast-n-furious" look will be best for their coolness factor, but the C-Max is actually a better package. Luv mine, handles like a Focus which it is.

Last edited:
If you want a manual transmission, get the Focus. The Cruze is overpriced and GM makes you choose between a timing belt (1.8) or LSPI (1.4T)

If you want an automatic, get the Cruze. Ford's DCT is awful, recalled a dozen times, and they STILL can't get it right! They should just swap in a real automatic transmission. One version of the Focus sedan is available with a normal 6-speed auto and the 1.0T.

Sorry, but Toyota and Honda are just better cars
smile.gif

The Focus 1.0 gets a normal (non DCT) automatic. It’s a better engine and better transmission than the 2.0 / DCT combo.

I have a 2015 Focus 1.0 / 6M and the car has been perfect. Bought new and I’m now at 60,000 miles. You don’t need a Honda or Toyota for reliability (also, the Corolla is an absolutely miserable car to drive).

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Cruze. The dual clutch automatic in the Fiesta and Focus is junk.
+1

The cruze I test drove was not a good small car - to put it lightly.

I would prefer the Penelope Model
smile.gif

The Focus is likely a better car all around than a Cruze, but reliability would be a concern.

I would look to a Subaru Impreza or a Kia Forte.

BTW I had a Fiesta rental with a dual clutch and it was a fantastic combo. Of course it wasn't broken ( yet). Much better than the Mazda 2 I had a year prior.
WHERE'S A FORD TEMPO WHEN YOU NEED ONE!?

Last edited:
Cruse because, the dual clutch transmission of the Ford is junk. The Focus with a stick is a very good car. Don’t overlook the Hyundai Elantra or KIA Forte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back