Michelins aged before they wore out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm not complaining, the tires are almost 10 years old. The cracks started appearing at 6 to 7 years old. The past year they got really bad.

I don't have any complaints. The Michelin Harmonies were great tires. We just didn't drive the van very much.

This go around we likely will drive the van much more. I have read people wearing a set of the Michelin premier tires out at 20k miles, so we will see.

I am a bit concerned about starting with 8.5/32nds of tread but we will see how they hold up.

Now the original oem run flat Dunlop were leterrible. Noisy, poor traction, cracking at 5 years old and they were so noisy it was ridiculous.

I got the same thing with ~6 year old defenders. Lots of tread but the tires are starting to crack.

Although my Continental Purecontacts started getting some cracks after just a few years as well.

My mom had 2 goodyear assurance tires, 3.5 years old since manufacture date, probably 20k miles.

She called me saying she had a flat tire and I went over and tried to find the leak to plug it. Well it was leaking from a Crack in the inside sidewall. It wasn't even that big.

Goodyear Assurance. Never Again.

They were not cheap.

Since we live in the wilderness it's 30 miles and 1 hour to the discount tire store where she bought them. They would have had prorated road hazard/warranty on them, but both tores were cracked badly and for 170 more we got 2 new Yokohama avid touring tires locally.

Goodyear Assurance, never again.

I was angry.

We bought my wife's 2004 van in 2011, tires are from 2010. They are Michelins, but I can't remember the exact model. We put slightly over 60K miles on them over 7 years. They are not worn out, but some cracking appears. They will get replaced at the end of the season.

Yikes..9 yr old tires = unsafe.

6 yrs is usually a good idea to replace. Using any sort of tire "dressing" will shorten tire life.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Yikes..9 yr old tires = unsafe.

6 yrs is usually a good idea to replace. Using any sort of tire "dressing" will shorten tire life.

Most modern tire dressings are water based. They don't last, but are also harmless to tires.

Originally Posted By: Broo
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Yikes..9 yr old tires = unsafe. ..6 yrs is usually a good idea to replace. Using any sort of tire "dressing" will shorten tire life.
Most modern tire dressings are water based. They don't last, but are also harmless to tires.

The 6 years advice has been recommended by car makers, and is a good rule.
I doubt if dressing will shorten the life. In fact, 303 (Gold Eagle) makes a "tire balm" that is supposed to help delay cracking. Maybe your results could vary depending on what you use. ... I have a 39-month new car lease, and I'm trying to make sure the new Ecopias on it make it. They are only a year old now, so no problem yet of course. I've got some tire "black shine" products I might throw on them once in a while. I guess I should get the 303, not sure.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Replace them, with something else than a garbage Michelin that dry rots.

My sentiments exactly. I won't ever buy their tires again. Between dry rotting, and cord separation I gave up on them decades ago. Their CS sucked at the time, I can't imagine it being any better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back