Doorbell Button Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bulb in my Nutone doorbell button burn out in a few months. Transformer came with the doorbell kit and is 16 volt, but the voltage at the doorbell is about 20volts+. Nutone bulbs are 16volt. Any suggestions on how to get more life out of the bulbs? Doorbell is a plain jane which chimes twice for front door and once for side door.

Are there more than one set of taps on the transformer? I know a lot of those will do different voltages depending on how they’re hooked up.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Are there more than one set of taps on the transformer? I know a lot of those will do different voltages depending on how they’re hooked up.
Just two taps. I have another transformer also rated at sixteen volts. Will try it. Anybody else have experience with this? Thanks.

The transformer voltage might be rated at a given load, so without the bulb load, it isn't loaded fully and may measure higher. If the doorbell and everything still works, you're probably ok just to get the right bulb and replace. If you want, you can try wire in an appropriate resistor in series with the bulb to run the light at lower power.

The doorbell push button arrangement precludes adding resistance. What about placing resistance in on leg of the transformer out. What resistance would be needed to reduce 20 volts to 16 volts? Haven't used Ohm's law in decades and eighty two year old brains atrophy. Nutone only supplies sixteen volt bulbs for its push buttons.Thanks

Most security panels are powered by a 16VAC transformer. Actual v is about 20VAC. Find a 24 V bulb. Mebbe Grainger or Mouser catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back