Parasound Back On-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
found this answer on another forum...."The cap's you are reffering to "snap" into a printed circuit board to hold themselves in while being soldered."

Is that right??

Sorry for the 3 posts in a row...

Just now saw your three posts. I'm guessing you haven't removed the old ones yet, thus the question. Even the snap-in caps have to be soldered in place to make a good electrical connection.

Yeah I haven't removed them. I was hoping to order the caps and do the job all at one sitting...I can see the values of the caps from the top interestingly enough without removing the cover....they are the same as yours. I'm gonna try to get the cover off this weekend so I can measure the diameter they are pretty tight but looks like plenty of room for taller caps, I just wanna make sure they don't end up being way fatter than the originals!

The speakers I built I used these real hi-end German caps on the tweeter section, Aydyn is the name if I recall is the name, but they only had one in stock, when I finally got the second one it was MUCH larger both height and width...I guess they went with better copper or something and I was reluctant to use the first one...I did anyway. Just a side note.

It's only 6 screws on the top but I need to do the brakes on my truck tomorrow so we'll see...I'll post when it's done.

What brand caps did you end up using?

So I finally got the top off to measure the caps and check the brand...they are ELNA which are Japanese caps, but Mouser didn't have ELNA in 12,000uf value so I bought the UCC Brand...which are American made...so I'm hoping they are decent caps.

I'll post when I get the caps and maybe some pics also!

Hey all....so I got this done finally and what a difference. The hum is gone except in one channel still hums but it's barely audible, and I think it's actually a bad resistor or related on the gain circuit, because that channel makes static noises when the gain is adjusted, and at a certain point, not gain level, point on the gain, it's almost completely gone. In other words I can move the gain up or down at that point and the noise get's louder. However, I can live with that.

The other improvement has been the heat sinks are much cooler. However, I am still having the overload protection kick in without it even being hot or playing for any length of time, which my guess is a cold solder point.

I know without poking around the actual unit it's hard to guess anything, but I am hoping maybe point me in the right direction.

It also seemed like it sounds better!! And I got 80v caps as well. Any way...thanks for this awesome thread...I am really happy the hum is gone! I cannot hear it on the one channel when before it was very audible at my listening position, now I have to turn everything off in the room and stick my ear up to the one that still hums slightly!

Last edited:
01.gif

Spray all gain pots and twist back-'n-forth about 20x. Some pots are resistive, some plastic. Requires different treatments.

Overload ckt will kick in if DC is detected on the outputs. Check with a DVM on mV setting.

I noticed an improvement in sound as well; namely no noise. When I re-caped the PS of the Panasonic HHD/DVD recorder, it made a larger difference in sound. I was captivated by a movie I'd recorded and the thought just popped up "Wow...this sounds really, really good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back