aluminun bed in f150 pick um ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty easy. IF you are a landscaper and throw heavy stuff at it.. get a plastic bedliner.

normal people dont have puncture issues with it.. a former coworker of mine used to WAX the inside of his f150 bed.

I'm helping my mother with an inter-state move. We loaded the bed with my brothers old-school stereo 80 lb floor speakers. Corners of the speakers caught on the roller-lined bed as we shoved them around, putting small dents in the aluminum. Where it dented, the epoxy liner broke off. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't like the steel bed in the old tundra. I've since put a cap on it with old carpet, my normal thing, and it's carried furniture and tools. No problem with that. For my use, it's fine.

It's all a compromise, right? with all that weight reduction, they added a lot of it back in from what I can see in roll cage and safety structure. There's a thick hardened steel beam over the visors. There are now buttresses on the frame and tubes before and aft of the front wheels to limit wheel movement. And that's just what I've seen. There's now an ugly door ding on my door, and a permanent warp on the roof from me being on top not long ago. AL doesn't hold up as well ("dealer lied"). It just doesn't. But, I didn't buy it for jewelry, and if they gave me a choice, structure vs skin, I'll take structure. And with the mpg as high as it is, I no longer need the small car I also drove, (sold it) so I'm still in agreement with the compromises made. I'm not a tree hugger, but I'm not in agreement with the culture of excess, and certainly not in agreement with giving our energy money to countries who generate risk our soldiers.

But yeah, the trade-offs are there with it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

It's not easy to find raw engine weight specs so I can't confirm or deny C&D's assertion. But they don't *look* to be the same weight (Base 2.7 and optional 3.5 & 5.0l). They are all iron block / aluminum head so I'm not sure how they would not reduce weight by dropping two cylinders.

With the exception of the 2.7 and 3.0 Diesel all Ford engines are Aluminum block. ( https://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-specifi...&brand=Ford )

Weights are hard to track down but it's about:

5.0 - 420 lbs
EB 2.7 - 440 lbs
EB 3.5 - 449 lbs

All seem to be close.

Can't comment on the bed issues but even the steel of the previous version dented. Mine has plenty of dents in it from the previous owner (no bedliner).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: 4WD
BiL has had his for a while and keeps a moderate rubber mat in the bed and a thick horse stall mat over that … sure like how easy the tailgate is to close …

The horse stall mat is an easy solution for under $50. Not even the Chevy commercial cinder block drop would've punctured through that.

Indeed … have had one over a bed liner for years … very tough … also keeps ice chests and stuff from sliding around …

I have had plastic liners(don't like them),spray in liners.
Always had to get them fixed for gouges and cuts.
But I am on Ridgeline number two and I really like
the plastic composite in the bed.
I have hauled furniture,skids of material,loose scrap iron
and appliances for scrap and its held up better than the others.
I had an F-150 for two months for an air bag recall.
Put a few dings in the bed.You would think Ford would have come up
with a stronger version of aluminum.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
You're not fixing anything. What fool rides out of the dealership without a bed liner in a $50-$80 truck
I never left the lot without one and often get it free- haggled in. If it was steel it dents and rusts and looks bad.
No different here. Also there isn't one type of aluminum in the world. They could make those beds bullet proof if they wanted to.

Work trucks, if the truck is going to be used, who cares about the bed? I want those bed drains as clear as possible and stone + carp to slide along the bed. Also probably a bit easier to clean, I would only consider Line X for a bed liner and I think it is a little grippy. Plastic bedliners get things stuck under them and ruin the bed.
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
Most people don't abuse the truck bed like landscape guys or Chevy commercial. Not even close ... Who drops big rocks from 6' up?

15.gif
I've always wondered that myself, you can tell the commercial writers have never stepped foot on a jobsite. You have to remember who the trucks are being marketed to, men who want to feel like a tough blue collar without getting their hands dirty or angering their wife. Getting crushed by rocks is pretty tough, although I cannot speak from experience.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

It's not easy to find raw engine weight specs so I can't confirm or deny C&D's assertion. But they don't *look* to be the same weight (Base 2.7 and optional 3.5 & 5.0l). They are all iron block / aluminum head so I'm not sure how they would not reduce weight by dropping two cylinders.

With the exception of the 2.7 and 3.0 Diesel all Ford engines are Aluminum block. ( https://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-specifi...&brand=Ford )

Weights are hard to track down but it's about:

5.0 - 420 lbs
EB 2.7 - 440 lbs
EB 3.5 - 449 lbs

All seem to be close.

Can't comment on the bed issues but even the steel of the previous version dented. Mine has plenty of dents in it from the previous owner (no bedliner).

Ah, I see. I just noted the base engine (the one you would use for comparisons as the others use a V6 base) is "compacted graphite iron".

The F-150 Coyote that is the option in the truck is a different engine but it's just cam timing etc for improved torque at low RPMs so probably no significant weight difference from the standard Coyote 5.0l. That motor is lighter than the Triton 4.6 / 5.4 variants, so they were lowering weight before the aluminum bed version of 2015.

The 2015 also ushered in a new base motor (3.7l replaced by the 3.5).

Who knows, maybe the magazine was wrong. Still overall weights of pickups are not really different between the Big 3 offerings.

when I bought mine, the dealer told me that while Al is softer, they used thicker panels than the steel was to make up for it. I considered this as plausible, as when I knocked it with my hands, it had a deeper thud to it. However, after owning the truck and installing cab lights and running power for the cap beneath the bed, I can say that the Al skin also seems no thicker than the steel was. I gave extreme thought and caution into the hole size and screw torque for those lights, since there was very little material to bite into.

I remember side-swiping a framed generator a few years back in the Tundra. It really surprised me that once the metal was bent, how easy it was to unbend, or re-bend. It was only the curves in the metal that gave it any strength. Once that was distorted it was shockingly weak. I suspect it will be even moreso with Al.

m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
when I bought mine, the dealer told me that while Al is softer, they used thicker panels than the steel was to make up for it. I considered this as plausible, as when I knocked it with my hands, it had a deeper thud to it. However, after owning the truck and installing cab lights and running power for the cap beneath the bed, I can say that the Al skin also seems no thicker than the steel was. I gave extreme thought and caution into the hole size and screw torque for those lights, since there was very little material to bite into.

I remember side-swiping a framed generator a few years back in the Tundra. It really surprised me that once the metal was bent, how easy it was to unbend, or re-bend. It was only the curves in the metal that gave it any strength. Once that was distorted it was shockingly weak. I suspect it will be even moreso with Al.

m

Yes, that is standard procedure when choosing between aluminum and steel for structural elements. The big difference between the two metals is shear strength; increasing the thickness doesn't make aluminum as good as steel there. Steel will stretch and bend much easier, so it's shear strength is quite a bit higher and it will remain in one piece at much higher sheer loads. We're talking 2~3x.

Not sure whether it's an issue in a truck bed; it certainly is one if you are replacing things like seat mounts which have to have shear strength to survive accidents without breaking the mounts and having the seat come off of it's mount.

But it is a sheer strength issue that Chevy was demonstrating with the "tool box challenge".

I do wish Ford would stop referring to their Al Alloy as "military grade" as there is no such thing. Same with "aircraft grade"; a made-up marketing term. Perhaps worse, most so-called "aircraft grade" aluminum is not the same alloys typically used in aircraft structural or powerplant. You might find it on the beer cart.

..... They are all iron block / aluminum head so I'm not sure how they would not reduce weight by dropping two cylinders.

no they're not.
the 3.3 & 3.5 are all aluminum(3.3 is the NA 3.5 with a smaller bore, and the 3.5EB uses the same block as the NA 3.5)
the 2.7's block is made from compacted graphite iron, similar to the 6.7 powerstroke. it weighs less than cast iron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compacted_graphite_iron

I saw a television show about a year ago where they were actually totaling the aluminum Fords that had similar crash damage as their steel brethren. The gist being the cost of repairing the aluminum and the skill set not widely available in body shops at that time. I know most body shops hardly do any body repair anymore. New panels. Glued panels...etc. I imagine that the panel availability and shop experience will catch up.

There is also a light and a heavy weight [duty] frame. My F150 has a light weight [Duty] frame.

Personally I think bed liners seem stupid. I mean is it a truck or is it a baby seat hauler. I have a friend who just leased a Dodge Ram with no liner. He is so worried about scratches (which he must pay for) he cannot even use the bed (bed liner or not) that I cannot understand why he leased a "truck" in the first place.

To me I would rather have a beat up bed I can use than a suburban carriage queen I am afraid to scratch....

I will say my 3/4 is paid off. I am gentle on the outside, but I chuck stuff in the bed. I have a spray in bed liner and it is steel. I chuck the wood in, axe in, rocks, metal etc. It has some dents but nothing huge. I am not afraid to use it. If I paid more than 40,000 for any truck the bed would be lined in memory foam. I would be afraid to pass gas in it.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Chevy is going to all hinged parts being aluminum. Bed, doors, hood. Just trying to hold out admitting that they were wrong...

hahaha, some hilarious info here on a huge non problem.

Ford's vaunted aluminum only brought their weight down to competitive levels with the others. They were always filled with road hugging weight. If GM went to all aluminum they would be lighter than Fords.

But the facts are that body shops must have separate tools for aluminum, and it is tricky sometimes to work with, not nearly as workable as steel. So it does cost more to repair.

The bed would never worry me as I don't haul much debris in mine, maybe some tree when we are working the property here. I like spray liners, but you can't beat the protection of a PVC bed liner!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sw99
I read somewhere that Chevy is going to all hinged parts being aluminum. Bed, doors, hood. Just trying to hold out admitting that they were wrong...

I heard that as well. But there is no evidence of it as of yet. When Ford did this, right away all the Ford fan boys started screaming that Ram and GM were going to do the same thing. We're still waiting. This isn't turning out to be the big advantage Ford thought it would. "Military Grade Aluminum" didn't turn out to be such a great selling point.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I heard that as well. But there is no evidence of it as of yet. When Ford did this, right away all the Ford fan boys started screaming that Ram and GM were going to do the same thing. We're still waiting. This isn't turning out to be the big advantage Ford thought it would. "Military Grade Aluminum" didn't turn out to be such a great selling point.

True - seems that they are the only ones and that GM and FCA abandoned their plans or whatnot.
http://autoweek.com/article/trucks/heres-why-fords-aluminum-push-didnt-resonate-ram-and-chevy

The interesting thing is that something did resonate with customers:

Quote:
Ford says it has no regrets about switching to aluminum. In 2017, the F-series logged its 41st consecutive year as the nation's best-selling pickup. It outsold the No. 2 Chevrolet Silverado by more than 300,000 vehicles, the largest gap ever between the two pickups, despite Chevrolet's attack ads that tried to portray aluminum as weak.

They're selling boatloads of aluminum Superduties too.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: billt460

True - seems that they are the only ones and that GM and FCA abandoned their plans or whatnot.
http://autoweek.com/article/trucks/heres-why-fords-aluminum-push-didnt-resonate-ram-and-chevy

The interesting thing is that something did resonate with customers:

Quote:
Ford says it has no regrets about switching to aluminum. In 2017, the F-series logged its 41st consecutive year as the nation's best-selling pickup. It outsold the No. 2 Chevrolet Silverado by more than 300,000 vehicles, the largest gap ever between the two pickups, despite Chevrolet's attack ads that tried to portray aluminum as weak.

They're selling boatloads of aluminum Superduties too.

Cheap fuel, cheap credit, and very good F&R accountants brought it all back again around here … I chuckle at how many Ford King Ranch edition farm trucks I see … more HD series on the lot than F150’s … Of course they pull that 36’ (3x300 HP) Yellow Fin boat with ease …
Oilfield crews have the WT series …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back