How to Handle an Auto That Will Not be Driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gas will be fine. Rusty brake hardware and critters in your air filters are what you should worry about. As said previously, fuel systems are pretty well sealed against vapors getting in or out.

I'd keep the gas in there at about half full. If it spoils and it's full, then you have a full tank to deal with. If you have air space, you can perk up the remnants with some fresh high-test. Furthermore I'd use regular gas pre-storage as it's fresher due to distribution demand. If I get a little knock retard when I get the car back, hey, at least it runs, and the fuel hasn't turned to jelly.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've done it for decades over the years with a few vehicles. Some sat as long as 3 months at a time. My son's deployments had cars sitting for up to 9 months. Stabil and some MMO in the gas was all I ever did as far as treating the fuel.

The IS350 never dies. The LS430's battery is more prone to die so I use one of those CTEK battery tenders on it.

How much stabil and MMO you use?

The recommended dose for Stabil and MMO for the vans that sat for up to 3 months. For deployments the recommended dose of Stabil and a quart of MMO to a full tank of gas. We'd remove the battery and store it inside, along with some other things to prep the car.

I've done it for decades over the years with a few vehicles. Some sat as long as 3 months at a time. My son's deployments had cars sitting for up to 9 months. Stabil and some MMO in the gas was all I ever did as far as treating the fuel.

The IS350 never dies. The LS430's battery is more prone to die so I use one of those CTEK battery tenders on it.

How much stabil and MMO you use?

The recommended dose for Stabil and MMO for the vans that sat for up to 3 months. For deployments the recommended dose of Stabil and a quart of MMO to a full tank of gas. We'd remove the battery and store it inside, along with some other things to prep the car.

Did you mix the two or did you just use what was on hand at the time?

Did you mix the two or did you just use what was on hand at the time?

I used both products at the same time. I dumped them in the gas station and filled the tank. When my son would deploy he'd dump them in the tank fill it and drive half an hour and parked the car where it would stay for the duration of the deployment and do the remaining prep there.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

I thought the reason for keeping the tank full was to stop a steel tank from rusting ...

I think a lot of cars these days are using plastic (HDPE) fuel tanks. Not sure what percentage of the new cars are doing it. My Toyota Tundra has a plastic tank! It also has a fuel tank skid plate. Not all models come with skid plate only the off-road mofels. So the car manufacturers must think it's strong enough. Also it's cheaper and lighter.

If you put fresh gas into the tank every 3-4 months, you will be fine. You might want to consider how the vehicles are stored... if in a garage then no worries, if outside then you might want to refuel them every 2-3 months (slightly more often). I do agree with the statement of running them as long as possible, when they are run. Battery tender probably not necessary on modern vehicles driven at least once per month, but would not harm anything either. Generally it's not good to let vehicles sit too much, but you probably knew that. My $0.02

The newer toyotas/lexus have remote proximity keyfobs which will drain the battery quite quickly

I would put the 2009 on a ctek if it has proximity.

I believe the LS is just a remote so that will be a little better so you won't end up with a dead battery but you still will be cycling the battery. bulk charging via driving/alternator is not the best for the battery.

a battery charge device is cheaper than having to replace a battery, not to mention the inconvenience

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back