5.3L Silverado Water Pump Torque Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing water pump on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L.

Need torque specs for the 6 bolts that secure the water pump to the engine. Is there a torque pattern to follow?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Had to do mine last year. Step torque to about 20 pounds IIRC. Anyone? BTW Mine still leaks a little, I need to snug them again.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
1st step is 11ft lbs. 2nd step is 22 ftlbs.

Did this when I replaced the WP on my Escalade. No leaks

I positioned the thermostat housing with thermostat onto the water pump and noticed that the bottom end of the thermostat touches the inside of the water pump which doesn't allow the housing to completely seat with the water pump. I pushed the housing in and noticed the thermostat spring retract which then allowed the housing to completely seat with the water pump. The housing and thermostat look exactly like the old one except for a few numbers stamped on the sides.

Is this normal for the thermostat to touch the walls of the water pump when inserted with the housing?

Originally Posted By: Gito
I positioned the thermostat housing with thermostat onto the water pump and noticed that the bottom end of the thermostat touches the inside of the water pump which doesn't allow the housing to completely seat with the water pump. I pushed the housing in and noticed the thermostat spring retract which then allowed the housing to completely seat with the water pump. The housing and thermostat look exactly like the old one except for a few numbers stamped on the sides.

Is this normal for the thermostat to touch the walls of the water pump when inserted with the housing?

Mine did, thermostat touch just a bit.

I did not use a torque wrench on my water pump.

Last edited:
Job completed

Drove truck around this evening and saw no leaks.
Will be driving in hot weather tomorrow so we will see how the truck holds up.
The cold start squeal is gone.

Thanks for everyones help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back