2018 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Looks nice! Didn't realize that the diesel had dual exhaust.

I was poking around the forums the other day and it sure seemed like the diesel was having some issues. I'm guessing that all has been worked out now?

Do your other vehicles have the rotary shifter? I've looked at that and I'm just not convinced I could (easily) adapt to that. But if your other vehicles have that already, then no biggie.

Same here. Didn't realize the EDs had duals like the majority of the Hemi powered Rams do.

OT, but I know I am NOT used to the rotary nob shifter on mine. Dunno how many times I've gone to put it in park and grabbed the volume nob or temp control. They're all within a hand-size space. Also OT, but I just averaged 24.1mpg over a 583 mile tank of fuel on my Pentastar Ram. Best tank yet. The hotter it is out, the better the MPGs on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: irv
Well, we ended up going a completely different direction on the replacement for the Durango. Originally we were looking at a Durango R/T with the 5.7L and then all of a sudden my wife was like "TRUCK!!!!"

We did an extended 2-day test drive of a 2017 EcoDiesel last week and could not believe the fuel mileage. It has lots of torque and almost no turbo lag, so it drives surprisingly well for a diesel, it is also insanely quiet.

They happened to have a new one on the lot that checked all the boxes for my wife (mainly, as much black as possible and leather with 4x4) and with the clearing out of the 2018's, we saved 34% off of MSRP, so we got a new truck for the price of a used one.

A few initial snaps (and my wife looking like she's having some sort of verbal dispute.. she's not), sorry for the poor quality.

Very nice, OverKill.
11.gif

Curious, did you check out JJ Stewart while you were shopping around? I drive past there last weekend on my to my trailer in Marmora and could believe the inventory they had on the lot.
shocked.gif

Stewart always has a TON of inventory, which is wild given their location.

I am friends with the owner of my dealer, so I get at cost pricing as well as some other perks. Due to this, I don't make it a habit to shop anywhere else out of courtesy for that relationship.

Don't blame you, that's a no brainer.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK

I was poking around the forums the other day and it sure seemed like the diesel was having some issues. I'm guessing that all has been worked out now?

Do your other vehicles have the rotary shifter? I've looked at that and I'm just not convinced I could (easily) adapt to that. But if your other vehicles have that already, then no biggie.

Same here. Didn't realize the EDs had duals like the majority of the Hemi powered Rams do.

OT, but I know I am NOT used to the rotary nob shifter on mine. Dunno how many times I've gone to put it in park and grabbed the volume nob or temp control. They're all within a hand-size space. Also OT, but I just averaged 24.1mpg over a 583 mile tank of fuel on my Pentastar Ram. Best tank yet. The hotter it is out, the better the MPGs on it.

I'm still getting used to the shifter knob too... At least once a day I'll go to throw a "ghost shifter" lever into park and swipe nothing but air lol.

Our new 1500 is a Hemi with 3.92 gears, as we needed the highest tow rating possible. My best tank is 23.1 mpg which was unthinkable even a decade ago: having a full size 4x4 truck with the deepest gear ratio offered with mpg's in the 20's!

And boy it's hard to keep my right foot out of the go-pedal, that Hemi just sounds so glorious!!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Nice truck, I hope the transmissions and electrical systems are better than they have been for the last 10 years or so... Dodge has always made a sharp looking truck with a great engine, but everything that surrounds it has been garbage...

20 years ago you would have had a point. From my experience and that of friends and former colleagues that are still in consumer automotive repair, that's no longer a valid statement.

When I was looking at pick-ups not too long ago, I considered all three makes. The GM wasn't rated to do what I needed, which ruled it out. So it was between the Ram and Ford. Ford still has issues with their HPFP, so that ruled it out. No issues with my Ram to date.

Nice truck, OP.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy

Our new 1500 is a Hemi with 3.92 gears, as we needed the highest tow rating possible. My best tank is 23.1 mpg which was unthinkable even a decade ago: having a full size 4x4 truck with the deepest gear ratio offered with mpg's in the 20's!

Yeah, that's unbelievably good! I know 5 people with late model Rams with the 5.7 and 8spd. Most with 3.21 gears and they average 16-18mpg tank/tank. My dash readout consistently reads about 1mpg higher than what I calculate by hand.

Congrats! As the owner of a RAM Limited (but Hemi) I could not be happier with the truck. It is far above my Sierra Denali as far as comfort and interior quality.

Saw this on FB. Great looker, that black is nice, no flake or anything, just BLACK! Spend a little time on it and it is near show quality on my 2014 RAM.

Our is a Hemi, so we will never experience that excellent mileage that will be ordinary to you now.

Great choice, keep us informed of how you like it with some miles...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Fuel price go up and down which makes it foolish to use the price of diesel a subject for engine selection.

Except for the data that is readily available that shows Diesel fuel is consistently higher priced than gasoline in the US. Just looking at the EIA data back to February 2007, diesel on a national basis has been higher than gasoline for all but 32 weeks - about 94.4% of the time. And its been an average of nearly 30 cents a gallon higher than gasoline, meaning over that just to overcome the extra fuel cost, you have to get 10% better fuel mileage - and thats's before the usual additional aquisition cost comes into play.

You can ignore fuel pricing at your peril, but I can guarantee you that fleet managers don't... (Part of why any vehicle in our fleet that does not tow heavy a large percentage of its duty is no longer diesel...)

All of this is moot for other countries - just came back from a Canadian trip and as noted, the pricing is much closer on diesel, at least in the part of Ontario I was in...

Hope the OP enjoys his new truck - most other Ram owners I know are happy!

Update:

Have 600Km on it now. Drove to the cottage and back, dragged the boat up there (20' Supra Comp TS6M) and the trailer back empty. Average mileage towing the boat was 11L/100Km (21.4Mpg) and average just towing the trailer was 8L/100Km (29.4Mpg), absolutely nutty! I'm just below 1/2 a tank, which means we'll probably get 1,000Km (621 miles) out of this tank.

Originally Posted By: JTK

The Big Horn package fits it with dual exhaust. We thought it looked really sharp and was worth the small premium.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
What do you plan to tow with it? Looks like a nice rig.

All kinds of fun stuff
wink.gif

- 4-wheeler trailer
- Boat trailer
- Maybe a camper trailer (wife is keen, I'm not)

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
What do you plan to tow with it? Looks like a nice rig.

All kinds of fun stuff
wink.gif

- 4-wheeler trailer
- Boat trailer
- Maybe a camper trailer (wife is keen, I'm not)

Nice. I've been eyeing up the midsizers for a diesel tow rig. For some stupid reason, you can't get an extended cab Colorado with the diesel unless it is the ZR2, which only has a 5000lb towing capacity. Really can't stand GM right now.

Yeah if you want to spend 50 grand.

The 1/2 tons won't even fit in my garage. I find it easier to tow with the smaller trucks. I love my Dakota ext. cab but it's a 2003 so I don't expect to get more than a few years out of it realistically, even though it only has 61k on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back