Koreans top J.D. Power qlty; Ford, GM, FCA make strides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Oh God, JD Power and their initial quality.
I remember first Hyundai Sonata's from Montgomery, cannot see one on the road anymore or second generation from Montgomery. And I think that second generation Sonata looked nice.

I see them everywhere in Miami. No need to pray to God for that.
whistle.gif

So they eventually ended up there lol
On the initial quality thing.
SO I am looking bigger SUV for my family, and you know, I wanted to do due diligence so tried pretty much everything. Ended up thinking between Dodge Durango R/T on one end, you know trying to compromise between fun factor and family utility, and on other side Toyota Highlander just for family but then will get myself some fun car, probably bimmer.
Anyway, so I ended up checking Chevrolet Tahoe. Checked several with some 30-40k and I think Yugo had some parts of interior holding up better after few years. That thing looks like Lynx got inside and tore apart interior. I thought maybe one or two specimens, nope, every one of them I checked.
But they do have bunch of JD Power awards, according to "real people not actors."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
#6. Chevrolet
#20. GMC

There is NOT a GMC model that's built on it's own platform, Unless a bunch of people had their Denali badge fall off.....This list makes little sense!

I would dare say as the price goes up the amount of small issues people are willing to accept as normal and don't care much about get much less.
A slight twist in a weather strip on a Porsche 911 gets a trip to the dealer and warrantied, big discussions and paperwork, loaner cars and all the rest of it. On a chevy the customer either doesn't even notice it or doesn't care. JMO

I can't take JD Power surveys very seriously when they ask about a NEW car. It better be good if it's only a few months old. I'd like to see 'surveys' taken after 5 years of ownership.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I can't take JD Power surveys very seriously when they ask about a NEW car. It better be good if it's only a few months old. I'd like to see 'surveys' taken after 5 years of ownership.

I kind of agree, but the problem with looking at longer term reliability is that I believe it can be very skewed by the owners. 5 years of jack rabbit starts, never washing salt off, aiming for potholes... Leaves a ton of variables up in the air for how the vehicle was treated.

This is why some on this site will say "KIA? They're junk!" When in reality it might just be that its a lower priced vehicle, so the owners don't service/take care of them.

The quality survey problems were 62% design, 34% defects, 4% other. Toyota's plant in Japan had the fewest defects. Complaining about design doesn't count much, to me anyway. Maybe that's wrong thinking, but not liking a design is not the same as reporting a defect.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Thats the point. New cars should be in great near perfect condition and reports like these look for that, or lack of.

5+ Years is more on the owner and how they took care of the car unless its a known issue like Honda and their V6 transmission issues, GM and intake gaskets, Toyota and sludge, etc... The other general stuff is usually on the owner.

Nice work

Guys that bought the Genisis feel good enough about it to fill out JD's huge amount of paperwork.

UD

On the Genesis and Equus: livery guys around me keep trying in hopes of finding a decent sedan after the death of Towncar and they keep being disappointed with the Equus. Those are usually being dumped within the first year due to downtime and sloppy dealerships around here. of course, the cars see 300+ miles 7/12/365

How do you know it was not a rental that wound up back a a dealer … fleeters are like cat years for wear and tear …

Originally Posted By: Y_K
On the Genesis and Equus: livery guys around me keep trying in hopes of finding a decent sedan after the death of Towncar and they keep being disappointed with the Equus. Those are usually being dumped within the first year due to downtime and sloppy dealerships around here. of course, the cars see 300+ miles 7/12/365

The cycle for livery here in Chicago is about planning on 80-100k miles per year.
So a 3 years lease would be returned with 250-300k miles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back