2004Toyota Hylander with V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has had the vehicle since new, it's got 225k. Nothing major wrong besides PS pump is going.

He wants to get 300k before he gets new vehicle. I say the auto trans will probably not make 300k and that will cause vehicle to go to boneyard. My estimate is just that very few vehicles make it to 300k without transmission work.

He takes the vehicle to local shops to get work done. Not a car guy.

I feel regular Type 4 ATF changes will get it there, especially if he adds an auxiliary transmission cooler.

What makes you think the original transmission won’t make it past 300k.
Pl. share your wisdom on predictions, it will all serve us well with our autos.
Having said that I know of 2 Highlanders in the 325k mark and not purely highway miles.
These are regular vehicles used for everything incl work
Regular D&F with T-IV should be sufficient for longevity, though will all these miles they do driv like crrrap.

Every 528e I retired had a well functioning original engine and automatic trans. The one I took to 350k worked great. The rest went well past 200 K. All it took was few drain and fills.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Regular D&F with T-IV should be sufficient for longevity

+1, three drain and fills spaced out 500 miles or a week apart. I'd also add dome Lubegard red on the final drain and fill.

For the Power Steering some Lubegard P.S. Protectant followed with some of their P.S. fluid would be a good option. Many auto parts stores have it or buy online.

My Rav4 tranny slips when cold but it's still going strong. Might not slip when cold if I ever took care of it. But I didn't. Those Toyotas go!

Leo, does the Rav still have original atf in there?
smile.gif

I do not have any great insight into how long the transmission will last.

But it got the basic maintenance his mechanic recommend. Not what a BITOG member would do. Probably a name brand ATF designated for the vehicle but not synthetic, no Magnefine filter. Who knows if pan drops or complete fluid exchanges were done.

The Aisin 5-speed automatic used in the 2004 Highlander is an excellent transmission and is very reliable/durable. Toyota claims that the T-IV fluid is "lifetime", but realistically, if the fluid is changed every 60k miles (using the correct T-IV fluid) and the vehicle is not abused, the transmission could last the life of the vehicle without requiring a rebuild. 300k miles should not be a problem with this transmission, and I have even seen these kind of miles on transmissions that have never been serviced. If the transmission has not been serviced in awhile (or ever), then a full fluid exchange is in order, IMMEDIATELY. Find someone who performs this service through the transmission cooler lines, no other way, and bring them the 12 quarts of T-IV transmission fluid so they don't use anything else. After the fluid exchange, add 12oz of Lubegard Red Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant.
For the Power Steering pump problem, I second SatinSilver's advice of adding Lubegard Power Steering Fluid Protectant. First, I would thoroughly flush-out and replace the old PS fluid. The PS used DEXRON III in 2004. I recommend Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC Full Synthetic automatic transmission fluid (for the power steering, NOT the transmission).

Last edited:
I'd do a few spill and fills of T-IV, after the fluid stays clean for a few thousand miles drop the pan and install a new filter.

Now, some here will say MaxLife will work, but for some odd reason this tranny doesn't like it. The Siennas use the same U151E, and while MaxLife felt fine in my parent's van for a few thousand miles, there was a softness or flutter I felt. I put T-IV back in and the shifting is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back