Clearing up some SN PLUS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/specifications/oem-dexos/#dexos1%E2%84%A2:%20New%20Tests

From link above
General Motors (GM) has introduced the second generation of its dexos1™ specification, a proprietary spec that helps ensure GM vehicles around the world are serviced with high-quality motor oil needed to maximize performance and protection...

Additional Tests:
The remaining tests ensure that with all the gains that must be made in terms of fuel economy, a lubricant’s durability and contributions to engine cleanliness are not compromised. Many are existing tests, and include:

GM Valve Train Wear Test:
Similar to the Peugeot valve train scuffing/wear test, it further tests an oil's ability to prevent valve train wear.
Peugeot Valve Train Scuffing/Wear Test: Evaluates prevention of valve train scuffing and wear under intense conditions.

Originally Posted By: wemay
GM Valve Train Wear Test:
Similar to the Peugeot valve train scuffing/wear test, it further tests an oil's ability to prevent valve train wear.
Peugeot Valve Train Scuffing/Wear Test: Evaluates prevention of valve train scuffing and wear under intense conditions.

Hard to say if that test includes the cam chains or not ... doesn't specifically say. But if the dexos1 Gen2 is supposed to give better wear protection over-all then it's certainly going to also help cam chains.

Quick question then; with the focus on timing chain wear does the oil have more anti wear compounds? As far as I know there isn’t anything that targets chain wear specifically.

Maybe this is the reason we are seeing more titanium in the add packs?

Question: Does any brand of 0W-40 or 5W-40 weight meet SN+ AND GM's Dexos1Gen2 specifications??

I've just seeing what is better for my hot little 2.0L turbo engine which is currently running Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Question: Does any brand of 0W-40 or 5W-40 weight meet SN+ AND GM's Dexos1Gen2 specifications??

I've just seeing what is better for my hot little 2.0L turbo engine which is currently running Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil.

GM doesn't license or approve any 40 for d1g2. Remember, d1g2 is still geared towards fuel economy and CAFE, low HTHS
What you could do is use a dexos2 oil that's 5w40. Valvoline's MST 5w40 seems to be the most readily-available dexos2 5w40, but there are others, particularly if you buy your oil online.

AAP has their CQ 5w40 dexos2 which is made by Amalie.

Originally Posted By: jjbula
Exactly how is a motor oil supposed to prevent pre-ignition? Sorry if this has already been answered.

oh wow. Tiny oil droplets that get into the combustion chamber are rendered less combustable. Nice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: jjbula
Exactly how is a motor oil supposed to prevent pre-ignition? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Thanks, nice video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back