Metal Stitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to get cracked cyl heads stitched many years ago. You'd get an old BMC head with cracks and stitching all over it...I had one with 17 cracks, all repaired. But not anymore, who needs that sort of skill when you can buy a new head for a fraction of the repair cost.

This is them, all these years later.

http://www.reptech.co.nz/metalock.htm

Never saw that before. Thanks

If you go to Philadelphia and see the Liberty Bell you can see where a succession of drilled holes was used to try to stop its famous crack.

There used to be a guy in Queens, NY that used to weld and stitch. He was excellent. He got old and retired and now there's no one good left any more.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
There used to be a guy in Queens, NY that used to weld and stitch. He was excellent. He got old and retired and now there's no one good left any more.

I took a blacksmithing class awhile back and it was full of relative youngsters. Plus, our school district is turning out newly certified welders at a pretty good clip. There is some evidence that the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way and not everyone wants to make their living with a computer. Hope this is really the case.

About metal stitching, I work on old machinery for a hobby and I’ve checked into it but it was very expensive. As I recall, the company that made the fancy little pins and locks would not sell them to you outright, they also wanted to install them. I could be wrong about that though. Interesting repair process and if I didn’t know that it worked I’d say that it wouldn’t work well, especially under pressure. But it does.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Cool video on the process:

I never seen this done, pretty cool.

Wow, cool process,probably ancient. The peening is the final fix. From the looks of it, there is nothing here that couldn't done by a shade tree DIYer. Grade 2 screws could be easily substituted for the fancy shmancy self shearing screws. The jig could be made on a drill press.Once again, I walk away smarter. Thank you all.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

I took a blacksmithing class awhile back and it was full of relative youngsters. Plus, our school district is turning out newly certified welders at a pretty good clip. There is some evidence that the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way and not everyone wants to make their living with a computer. Hope this is really the case.

About metal stitching, I work on old machinery for a hobby and I’ve checked into it but it was very expensive. As I recall, the company that made the fancy little pins and locks would not sell them to you outright, they also wanted to install them. I could be wrong about that though. Interesting repair process and if I didn’t know that it worked I’d say that it wouldn’t work well, especially under pressure. But it does.

I've been saying for years that all of this type of work was becoming a lost art. I truly hope younger people pick some of this stuff back up. I would love it if my thirteen year old works with his head and hands when he grows up. It looks like he may. My wife probably doesn't want that. Her other son is a stock manager.

Here comes a vent or mini-rant. Nobody should be threatened because it's "societally reflective", not a focused criticism.

One thing wrong with "vanishing arts and crafts" like this is that we're now long accustomed to seeing unshaven, fat Bozos in dirty coveralls at state fairs and museums demonstrating them. The same guys fire up old machines too.

It's understandable that mommies and daddies AND the kids equate "old stuff" with these dull, slovenly characters.

I'm donning my flame suit but leaving the top button open.

I THINK something similar (but perhaps not as good) can be achieved by filling the overlapping holes with (ZIF -BRONZE?) braze.

My grandfather showed me how this was done back in the 60's.

I recently repaired a broken gear tooth on a table saw, by drilling an tapping in a bolt shank, then filing it to shape.

Perfect fix in 40 minutes, zero cost.

Cool stuff. I knew welding cast iron was tricky business, had not seen a method of stitching with bolts.

When he says thread sealant in that video, is it a thread locker? Something meant to basically be glue and not come loose? although it looks like the second run of bolts cut into the first run of bolts (thus locking the first run and preventing them from backing out).

Originally Posted By: andyd
Wow, cool process,probably ancient. The peening is the final fix. From the looks of it, there is nothing here that couldn't done by a shade tree DIYer. Grade 2 screws could be easily substituted for the fancy shmancy self shearing screws. The jig could be made on a drill press.Once again, I walk away smarter. Thank you all.

Have done it with hardware store stuff, no jig just for giggles. No crack except for the one that I drew on a scrap head.

Did it another way, drilled the two "crack stops" (holes drilled to stress relieve crack ends...the Liberty Bell for e.g...the "flat" end of the crack loses it's intensity), then splitting the distance, one mid span, then mid span of those then mid span until they overlap.

It didn't hold penetrating oil...

The place I mentioned earlier in Queens NY closed about twenty years ago. Thar guy used to preheat cast iron in these big ovens he made out of fire proof brick. Temp was critical. I never had any of his work fail. After he closed, my dad started using this place in Farmingdale, Long Island. The owner of that place was always dressed like he was going to play golf and not one of his jobs ever did not leak or re crack.
Wow... I just googled the place and it's still in business. I am shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back