2018 Dodge Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission is only as good as the programming. From the various cars I've driven with this ZF8 trans, I think BMW's programming is the best. It's just so crisp and immediate. Audi's programming is also good, but a small step behind. I haven't had the SRT long enough to make a final judgement, but so far it feels more sloppy than both BMW and Audi.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The transmission is only as good as the programming. From the various cars I've driven with this ZF8 trans, I think BMW's programming is the best. It's just so crisp and immediate. Audi's programming is also good, but a small step behind. I haven't had the SRT long enough to make a final judgement, but so far it feels more sloppy than both BMW and Audi.

I noticed a big difference between "sport" and "auto". Not sure how different it is in the cars however
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The 'sport' is better, but still kind of sloppy, IME.

That's unfortunate. One could hope for a programming update, but I doubt it would yield substantial improvement.

I find street mode is quite nice. Yes, sport and track mode are really aggressive. I use street for every day driving.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
Police package cars are still available with the v8 and awd attached to a 5 speed trans.
For not much more you can get a scatpack.
www.koonsjeep.com has 140 scatpacks instock or transit. We are waiting for a white/red scatpack to come in.

Agreed on the Scat Pack, it's the craziest deal out there.

Be careful dealing with any dealer in Virginia. For some reason a lot of them advertise a price that is thousands less than what the car will actually cost. They also add on a $6-700 processing fee, military, college grad discount + destination charge. Practically no one is eligible for these discounts and the destination charge is part of the MSRP anyways, so that is definitely misleading. Since I bought my Challenger used, I didn't have to deal w/ripoffs like this and I would suggest getting something low mileage used.

Last edited:
I had no issues with koons they sent all the pricing over. Docfee varies from 300 to 1000 bucks depending where you are inthe country.

Hello All.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I am most likely going to buy the Car that I originally posted about.

A few things that I have learned:

The Virginia dealers are a wee bit "sleazy". (No disrespect to SEBZX79) They just don't seem to be able to give you a straight up price. Always this fee or that fee.

The Ohio dealership that I am dealing with is very transparent. This much for our car, this much for yours. No [censored]. BTW, they are giving me a very generous trade allowance.

I really don't need a 6.4 ScatPak. Perhaps a bit too flashy and Cop attracting. I guess that I'm getting OLD. The horror !

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
The Virginia dealers are a wee bit "sleazy". (No disrespect to SEBZX79) They just don't seem to be able to give you a straight up price. Always this fee or that fee.
You need to agree on OTD (out the door) price. This way you don't care what all the fees are. If you are happy with OTD price, you buy. Otherwise, walk away.

If I could only get them to give me an "Out the door price"....

They incist that I come in to the Dealer.

When I was shopping I emailed 3 dealers from the Dodge site, 2 came right back with an OTD number that was itemized and had a nice amount off sticker. The third refused to provide numbers and pressured me to come in to get them, so I ignored their email. A few hours later they email me a number! I replied that I already had an appointment at another dealer that gave me numbers hours ago when I asked. A day later they called and I told them I bought a car and was no longer looking. I get another call asking about their service (sounded liked it was a sales manager, not a CSR) and I explained that if they were difficult to deal with before I showed up that I wasn't going to waste my time driving over.

They actually sent this -

Quote:
So I talked with my sales director and this is the issue. We have changed to this platform because what we found out was the customers that wanted our out the door numbers, never made it into our dealership showroom.

I completely understand that you want to shop around, and the fastest way to do that is internet. But if I do the right thing and send you true numbers, and another dealer sends you junk numbers just to get you in, they end up with your business and not us. Then we do everything we can to earn your business, and the dealer playing games just takes our numbers and matches or beats us by 50 bucks.

I want to earn your business here. And would be happy to provide you everything you need to make a purchase after selecting and driving the vehicle.

Let me know what you think!
smile.gif

Hours later after I already had set appointments up the manager sends this -

Quote:
Nick let me know you were looking for out the door numbers on a Dodge Challenger R/T 392. Since pricing is subject to change based on interest rate, trade-in value, rebate qualifications, etc., these numbers aren't set in stone until you come work with our sales team.

However, it looks like you'd be financing in the ballpark of $47,500 on that particular vehicle after factoring in standard rebates and taxes. Interest rate is not factored in because those are determined entirely by the bank. Please let Nick know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I never mentioned financing or a trade in.

If I could only get them to give me an "Out the door price"....

They incist that I come in to the Dealer.

I'd tell them to pound sand.

Hello All,

I'm picking up the Charger that I originally posted about tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Andyd...check your PMs.

Hello All,

I'm picking up the Charger that I originally posted about tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Andyd...check your PMs.

Congrats!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
440Magnum, my mistake but then why would you want a 5 speed automatic when there is a 8 speed available?
The Challenger transmission is Great. More gears keep you in the power abd I love how it downshifts to a stop. Can't imagine why you would want a 5 speed over that.

Having owned both (not in a Charger, but the same two transmissions are used in the Grand Cherokee), the 8-speed is far, far better. Especially with the v6 and its peakier powerband. The 8-speed keeps it in the happy zone so that it can really use its power much better.

The 5-speed (NAG1) is a wonderful, reliable, tough transmission, essentially the same as the Benz WA580. But then the 3-speed Torqueflight 727 is also tougher and even more reliable... but they can't compete with the 8-speed performance-wise, especially behind smaller engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back