1987 4Runner 333,333.3 miles original engine w/pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
My '04 Corolla has almost that many miles now...I think it's around 328K...

Have you had any issues with it at all? I tried to PM but that didn't work. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: car51
Hey Luke, I have tons of the MC HDEO 10w30. If you find that cheap, I'd kill to see a UOA on it
wink.gif

I have a ton of oil at the moment so unless I could buy some for at or below $2/Quart a UOA from my 4Runner on it is unlikely. What you should do is run some this spring in your Toyota for 5k and send in a Napa analysis for it! UOA are a very individual thing and that would tell you how your engine likes it vs mine. Mine may like it and yours may hate it, who knows, I mean after all your engine has twice as many camshafts and valves as my engine does!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Update on the old 4Runner. No issues to report and I eclipsed 336,000 miles this week. The little 22RE just keeps soldiering on.

Good to hear Luke
smile.gif

Carry on

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I am afraid, they don't make it with the quality of the older Toyota anymore.
Even with the same quality new vehicles have loads of new gadgets to fail. It's going to be tough to get one out to 30+ years.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
What is inside the 22-r and 22-re motors etc that make them so durable? or the engineering aspect.

Nothing exotic and they aren't without their faults. The 22R/RE is a very low power density engine with good parts inside like a forged cross drilled fully counterweighted crankshaft, beefy forged connecting rods with piston oiling squirters. Cylinder head is a simple cross flow design with a single mechanical flat tappet camshaft. They were known for needing head gaskets between 100-200k and depending on the use usually a timing chain replacement north of 100k as the chain would stretch until the tensioner bottomed out and the chain slack would eventually break the plastic long drivers side chain guide resulting in the chain wearing through the aluminum timing cover and eventually hitting water. This truck had the chain and head gasket both replaced at the dealership sometime before I bought it with 255,000 miles on it. The head gasket had evidence of a small external weep so I elected to replace the head gasket again around 277,000 miles and replaced the timing set at the same time.

So they're not invincible but they're easy to work on and go a long time if you know what to keep an eye out for.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I am afraid, they don't make it with the quality of the older Toyota anymore.

And that leaves the door wide open for Honda although the Accord isn't moving.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We've been using them for hard work forever.

In 10th grade, my auto shop class had a 1975 Toyota Hilux project. We installed a nicely modded 327 with a GMC 6:71 blower, Predator carbs., Power Glide, narrowed Ford 9" rear end, tubs, Recaro race seats, roll bar and a Simpson 5 point harness. We also did a Candy Apple Red Metallic paint job.
I think in high schools today they have a gaming elective shop, to see who can get to the highest level in HALO. SMH!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Cool story but where r pics of the rig?

SERIOUSLY? That was 1980. You think I carried my cell phone around then?

Hey brotato
R u op with the 4runner? Did u forget this thread was started by him?

Very nice. I love that era of Toyotas.

I have a friend with an 07 civic that is almost to 400k with only an ac compressor, rear shocks and I think that's the only repairs. Oil changes according to the OLM which is usually 7 to 9k. He runs it hard too.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Cool story but where r pics of the rig?

SERIOUSLY? That was 1980. You think I carried my cell phone around then?

Hey brotato
R u op with the 4runner? Did u forget this thread was started by him?

Was it now, Podnah! I was replying to the HILUX video, Podnah.

What is inside the 22-r and 22-re motors etc that make them so durable? or the engineering aspect.

Nothing exotic and they aren't without their faults. The 22R/RE is a very low power density engine with good parts inside like a forged cross drilled fully counterweighted crankshaft, beefy forged connecting rods with piston oiling squirters. Cylinder head is a simple cross flow design with a single mechanical flat tappet camshaft. They were known for needing head gaskets between 100-200k and depending on the use usually a timing chain replacement north of 100k as the chain would stretch until the tensioner bottomed out and the chain slack would eventually break the plastic long drivers side chain guide resulting in the chain wearing through the aluminum timing cover and eventually hitting water. This truck had the chain and head gasket both replaced at the dealership sometime before I bought it with 255,000 miles on it. The head gasket had evidence of a small external weep so I elected to replace the head gasket again around 277,000 miles and replaced the timing set at the same time.

So they're not invincible but they're easy to work on and go a long time if you know what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks Fly Navy! I know nothing about them. I do have an 86' Toyota PU with the turbo engine. About 140k and heavily rusted bed. Just a farm truck. Looks like I do need to replace the timing chain.

Thanks Fly Navy! I know nothing about them. I do have an 86' Toyota PU with the turbo engine. About 140k and heavily rusted bed. Just a farm truck. Looks like I do need to replace the timing chain.

The 22RET was a little different animal. Same issues as a 22R/RE plus the addition of a failure prone CT-20 turbo. If your truck is a 5sp with the factory 22RET I'll gladly buy it from you. Rusty bed and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back