Best engine break-in procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It breaks in the cam and lifters. This is an absolute must.

Every cam manufacturer requires it. Their warranty is void if you fail to do it.

It is a critical step.
Is that what the OEs do before cars are delivered to the dealer?

Again, while this particular instance could be construed (in my case) to a Sunwest 2.5L SOHC EJ251 "Enhanced short block" https://sunwestautoinc.com/product/subaru-ej25-short-block-2-5l-sohc-1999-2005/ mated to some Subaru Reconditioned Non-EGR heads that should be for it, and with Six Star Revised MLS gaskets for the mating of...
View attachment 169567

View attachment 169564

View attachment 169565

And of course, all new timing belt kit and other gaskets ready to go... - I have not yet viewed the information Sunwest has sent over about "how best to break it in." I thought I'd ask here. @Trav has given me a great lead on two 10W-40 mineral and high zinc break-in oils to run.. however, I still have questions (and again, if this is for "all engines" cool, please specify in your reply:)

1. How long to run break-in oil for?
(Preliminary research seems to suggest 100 to 200 miles "should be okay," yay or nay?)

2. How to drive during break in? Everything I have heard says to me moderate/hard on the throttle and do a lot of letting the engine coast down to speed, keeping an eye on temperature or maybe short runs (again, how long? Speeds? Highway, like an hour blast varying it like 65 to 90 for short times one way then letting it sit, or two hours of same, moderate to high RPMs.. how???? Highway cruising speed can easily be about 80 and a little faster than that sometimes. Would that be a good environment? Or not maintain same speed...)

3. Engine break-in oils help specifically with optimal ring sealing for highest compression, moreso than a regular "non synthetic" oil which this board has essentially taught me doesn't quite exist? Group 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or Roman numerals thereof, every other thread seems to touch on this......

4. See questions 3, it's worth it to buy that oil and run it for.. ~200 miles, or how long, see question 1?

5. Any engine break-in oil that isn't a 10W-40?

6. Is it OK to use an xW-30 (like, more than likely, HPL No VII 5W-30) after using break in oil? I'll have the Fumoto valve on...

7. When is the engine broken in, when can normal oil be used?

@Trav recommended me one of these two: (so I'm inclined to purchase one of these two. I have a new catalytic converter ready to go, as well, since the old one has been flooded with coolant:)

View attachment 169566

I would recommend NOT using a Fumoto valve on an EJ. The valve hangs too low off the side and while extremely unlikely, if the lever were to be bumped by debris, you stand to lose enough oil before the oil warning light and suffer damage. If you want an easy drain, use Stahlbus or Valvomax.

I’d run the break-in oil 1000 miles, but if your shortblock was prepped correctly, the rings will be as sealed as they’re ever going to be by maybe 50 miles. Those years of engines were SL/SM, so as long as you’re not burning oil, a high zinc/phosphorus oil is no worry.

Trav has a bunch of good advice above as well.

Is that what the OEs do before cars are delivered to the dealer?
I imagine. It takes about 20 minutes at 2,000 RPM for the lifter (or follower, or whatever) and cam to break in. In the old days, flat tappet lifters would slowly rotate relative to the cam lobe and smooth out all the asperities.

At idle, the lifter wouldn’t rotate, and could wear in badly, with grooves, which would quickly destroy both lifter and lobe.

Roller follower on a modern OHC engine probably doesn’t need this. But a shim/bucket arrangement certainly does.

LOAD THE RINGS is my priority. I got this from Mario Andretti's engine builder 40+ years ago. He was kind enough to talk to a punk kid on the phone ( for 10 minutes) asking the proper way to break in a motor. Get timing FAST ( points still a thing back then) get it up to temperature, find a big hill put your foot into the brakes in second or third gear mid rpm and "load the rings" this is your #1 mission on a new motor. He said to do 8 to 10 runs up the hill or road if no hill is available. He said you have a very very small window of opportunity to get the rings broke in properly. He said we can do this on a dyno easily. In the car break-in, it is a harder issue with your location of a city or country road. He said just worry about loading rings as soon as you can. Of course using the brake to help put resistance into loading is all but gone with todays cars with the computer killing the throttle. So now it is 3/4 throttle in the beginning then later in the loading to full throttle acceleration without exceeding 4,500ish rpm on a hill if you can. Adding the brakes made a huge difference to this procedure. Back then I built 5-6 street/race motors in our car club and all lived with no cam/lifter issues going by what Marrio's engine builder told me years ago. He also told me to dump the oil and skip the filter after coming back from the ring loading run.

The cams are not new. Also this is a fixed slider block rocker not anything that rotates.

Okay, now I get to select head gaskets! One is thicker than the other one.

These are .060" thick...
Screenshot_20230801-094952_Chrome.jpg

.. and these are .032" thick
Screenshot_20230801-093532_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230801-095200_Chrome.jpg

Sunwest seems to be selling the Six Star but, as usual, I want to know about the very best so.. what does @Trav say?

Okay, now I get to select head gaskets! One is thicker than the other one.

These are .060" thick...
View attachment 170145

.. and these are .032" thick
View attachment 170144View attachment 170143

Sunwest seems to be selling the Six Star but, as usual, I want to know about the very best so.. what does @Trav say?
You should know how much of the head was shaved. As far as I understand, thicker than OE is for making up differences in deck or head material removal to keep compression consistent.

Just drive it. Take it easy for a couple hundred miles and then drive it like you normally would. Change the oil at 1k then again at 3k using decent oil. Then drive it however you want for the rest of its life.

It isn't a formula 1 engine or super high performance engine. It is a rebuild with remanufactured parts. No special procedure required.

If you feel like following a procedure...follow whatever Subaru says to do in the owners manual.

I read that the best way to break an engine was to pour 5 quarts of sodium silicate into the engine. Or that's what they did in 2008.

I read that the best way to break an engine was to pour 5 quarts of sodium silicate into the engine. Or that's what they did in 2008.
He's talking about Cash For Clunkers. Seems to have been 2009

1691127284215.jpg

Some Maserati Quattroportes ended up getting "recycled" in that program. These

1691127382385.jpg

That Short Block should be coming today, by the way.

I'm most inclined to do what @Trav suggests. Here is what Sunwest days to do.

1691127538756.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back