Alternate 4Runner Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the salt and brine they put on the roads...the sad truth is that this vehicle will rust out before the engine wears out regardless of oil selection.

So in reality I should run 0w-20 and just enjoy the fuel economy benefit. But my hopes are high that the engine will feel tighter and stronger using a 0w-30 as the miles build.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parshisa
thin vs thick debate is infinite....

Don't think we can really call this one a debate this time, since it's a manufacturer's recommendation.

Check my sig - doing a test with 20 and 30 and will post the report when I'm done.

Originally Posted By: 28gauge
Keep in mind that I live in Tucson, AZ. 105 degrees (and higher) is quite common for many months. Early morning winter might see a freeze like 30 degrees, but quickly move up to the 50's and 60's in the afternoon. In my last 2012 4Runner I went by the book with the 0W20. Traded it in with 38K miles without any issues. My 2017 has 7K miles on it now and I think I'm going to the M1 0W30 going forward 12 months year. While I don't tow or do much off-roading, we do travel to the White Mountains which involves a bit of climbing through elevations. Again, I consider the weather alone severe condition.

From +30F to +105F sounds perfect for something like M1 10W30. Less shear, lower Noack volatility, less polymer VII load. I agree with selecting an oil based on your climate and application, but I would extend that to include the cold starting winter (W) rating as well as the operational temperature viscosity.

I live in a very similar climate (ignoring humidity) a 10W or 15W oil is more than ample cold starting ability. Just throwing it out there for your consideration

I bought the 4Runner as a DO ALL vehicle. Well everything but race track. Running the 0w-30 lets me run in the extreme cold and the 30 will give me the extra "cushion" over the 20 if I run it hard in hot temps or do some towing.

I am not concerned about the 1/2% fuel mileage loss with the slightly thicker oil. I am smart about driving and try to maximize fuel economy in other ways.

Also when running through deep loose sand with the engine laboring or running in 4 wheel low I would not feel comfortable with a 20wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back