tire inflator 12 v or 120v or BOTH??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am buying a tie inflator.
12 volt would be nice for on the road problems which I have not had in 15 years) , but 120 volt is nice at home for 2 cars in garage, and a boat outside.

any experience with combo 12 v 120v inflators? I saw only one from an unknown brand , would appreciate any input.

and did the air in a can go away? someone told me they all have foam that messes up a tire??

Last edited:
BOTH! 120v airs up a lot quicker than 12v. I have the Black and Decker Air Station, it does a good job of topping off the car and bicycle tires. I don't find the gauge to be too accurate though.

If you do go 12v, get one with alligator clips, not the horrible ciggy plug connector.

The masterflow MV-50 is very basic, but draws something like 16 amps. No ciggy plug or its receptacle or wiring leading to it can support 16 amps for long.

Its QC requires one give it a bit of spit and polish though. The air filter inlet holes are covered with flashing restricting airflow, the head bolts are not torqued properly, or loosen up after the first heating cycle. Where the wires enter the endcap, on mine, there was NO strain relief, and the connections in the end cap used crimp nuts and were done poorly.

I retapped the Head for 1/4 NPT standard fittings as it has some metric fitting from factory.

Viair makes good 12v air compressors, used to be made in USA, where they got their reputation, but now, like everything else is offshored.

Any 12v compressor can be run off 120Vac:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJVYDDW/ref...p;pd_rd_w=yP2y8

These can also be used to float or recharge batteries, though a well depelted battery can overload them, and they will shut off or burn themselves up feeding their maximum amperage.

Switching power supplies intended for use as Manual battery chargers, should have Constant current limiting on overload, not Hiccup mode or rollback.

I use the meanwell rsp-500-15, its voltage range is 13.12 to 19.23 and it can deliver upto 40 amps at any point within that voltage range, though I have untested it above 16.2v.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Bike pump. If going 120 I'd just buy a cheap oil free pancake compressor.
this, you can get a porter cable or some such cheaply at a hardware store and not have to wait all day to inflate as you would with the little tankless 12v inflators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
BOTH! 120v airs up a lot quicker than 12v.

My 12 volt unit (Harbor Freight High Volume) stays in the vehicle - needed it more than once!

It is a LIFESAVER when you get back to the airport after a week and find a flat tire.

At home, the 120 volt unit is just too darn fast and convenient to not have one.

The 120V/12V is handy. Especially during cold winter days, on 120V you can easily inflate the tires inside the garage, with no need to start a car and open the garage doors and having the subsequent freezing breeze seep along your back.

I like my Slime 40022 12v inflator, because you set the pressure you want and it automatically shuts off when it's done. However, I used it the other day for several minutes continuously (airing up all four oversized tires from 35 to 40 psi) and the plug at the 12v socket was warmer than I think it should be. For quick use here and there, I would suggest that one. For heavy duty use, try something else.

I’m the red-headed step child here.

I’ve got the Ryobi One+ 18V inflator. $40 at Home Depot, I already had the batteries from my impact and drill, that kit was only $99 on sale. Best thing I ever bought, it’s accurate and stops right where you set it to, it’s quick too. I can top off 15 car tires with one battery.

At home I have a DEWALT DWFP55130 compressor. It's perfect for a small garage and I keep it tucked away on a shelf, plugged in ready to go with hose hanging next to it and a nice digital air chuck in the tool box for it. Works great for filling tires very quickly, and also has enough power to run most types of air tools. I use it mostly for tires and blasting dust out of computers and other electronics. As I recall I think it came from Amazon for ~$220ish. For an occasional use compressor these modern oilless ultra-quiet compact compressors are wonderful for home garages. There are less powerful and less expensive options from california air on amazon that are nice for this. Lowes/Kobalt has a unit with a california air compressor (rebranded) on it that is nice.

On the road I have a SuperFlow MV-90. Shop around these can be found for ~$120+ shipping. This is a 12V 45A compressor that connects straight to the battery. As far as portable compressors go, it is on the larger and heavier end of the spectrum. Well suited to inflating 33"+ SUV/Truck tires.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to buy a 120V inflator for home use, you're better served by the versatility of a compressor with a reservoir tank. Even if that means a cheap harbor freight pancake compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back