1992 Honda Accord just replaces timing belt now ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If the water pump was changed there’s probably an air bubble that needs to be burped.

Originally Posted By: taztheman
The water pump had already been replaced a year or two before so I didn’t bother doing it. And there are no check engine lights on. We put the timing marks in time and the lettering for the belt is outward.

I don't know if one tooth off matters for overheating but timing can definitely effect the temperature of the engine.

Last edited:
When I was in High School, I thought the teachers who got their cars fixed in the shop were getting a good deal.
Now that I have wrenched on a few of my own heaps, I would never even let them swap my tires.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How does just skipping a tooth cause it to overheat? If the water pump was operating properly prior to the timing belt change and the engine is now overheating, then the belt was not installed properly (routed correctly). I don't see how you overheat from the timing being off by one tooth.

Does that engine have balance shafts and a second belt?

Yes, it does have balance shaft. The alignment access hole is plugged by a I think a 12mm bolt facing the firewall on the engine block. Remove the bolt, stick a Philips screw driver in the hole and feel for slot that screw driver drops into, then align timing belt to marks on head.

If not aligned properly it will vibrate prolly about 2k rpms, if the belt is not on at all, the water pump is not turning round and round! Cause over heating...

Skipped tooth is not the problem.

Last edited:
Your timing and water pump, balance shaft set up should look the same as this 1994, I think you might have missed something with your water pump belt. There are two belts there. the lower belt with two pulley drives, one on each side is your water pump, balance shaft belt. Check it.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Your timing and water pump, balance shaft set up should look the same as this 1994, I think you might have missed something with your water pump belt. There are two belts there. the lower belt with two pulley drives, one on each side is your water pump, balance shaft belt. Check it.

The balance shaft belt does NOT drive the water pump. The water pump is the upper right pulley, driven by the main timing belt. The balance shaft belt only drives the front and rear balance shafts. I have a 92 Accord and changed the timing belt. balance shaft belt, and water pump myself last year.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Guys if the t belt wasnt routed right it wouldn't even start. Its an interference engine....

Well not really. If the timing was set properly to begin with and the belt was routed in a way that still turned the camshaft in time with the crankshaft pulley (but didn't turn the water pump properly) then it would run but overheat. One possible way would be if the belt was routed such that the back (untoothed) part was against the water pump gear. I don't know if that is possible but that would do it.

I know more about misubishis than hondas, but ive never seen a timing belt that would allow misroutung and still be able to tension properly. And if its loose its gonna jump time. And i also assume if it was mistimed a tooth it would run rough or doggy and he would have mentioned it. When i did my mitsu a tooth off once it was a pooch. So another hour of wrenching... haha. It didnt run hot though, and i doubt one tooth would cause overheating, but ive been suprised before so u never know i guess..

Retarded Ignition Timing can cause overheating....Especially on a car with a marginal cooling system.
Having the Cam Gear off one or more teeth off WILL alter Ignition Timing as the Distributor is driven by the camshaft.

Bring up #1 cylinder to TDC using the marks on the balancer & timing cover. Peel the timing cover back enough to check the Cam Gear marks.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Retarded Ignition Timing can cause overheating....Especially on a car with a marginal cooling system.
Having the Cam Gear off one or more teeth off WILL alter Ignition Timing as the Distributor is driven by the camshaft.

Bring up #1 cylinder to TDC using the marks on the balancer & timing cover. Peel the timing cover back enough to check the Cam Gear marks.

There are no marks on the balancer or timing cover. You use the marks on the torque converter and transmission case to get #1 piston at TDC.

f22 engine has a tricky timing belt and balance belt tensioning procedure. why was tb replaced ? make sure u bleed the air then check the typical things like fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back