Comparing Full Synthetic 5W-30 Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Based on the specifications listed in this summary table, which full synthetic 5W-30 would you use and why?

The info was obtained off of each oil manufacture's website, unless noted otherwise. Some HTHS and NOACK info is missing. Was going to call each manufacturer to see if they would give HTHS and NOACK, but didn't get around to it. Oil is for a non-Direct Injection normally aspirated engine, with just spirited street driving.

I'd use Pennzoil because, it is the cheapest of all (with the mail in rebates), at least here in Ontario.

For non DI, N/A engine, it is not really that important. Unless you go to race track or autox, HTHS won't make difference too. PFI naturally aspirated engines are usually not hard on motor oil. I'd go for the cheapest one in the list.

I’d replace the Dexos column (which is of little relevance to your application) with an ACEA one. Then the choice would be so much easier since only one manufacturer from those that you listed claims to meet A5/B5.
laugh.gif

Anything on that list will serve you well. I'd honestly go with the cheapest.

Thanks for the info. It gives me confidence that all those oils are capable of keeping my engine in good shape. Rather than picking the absolute top one, I prefer to keep then on my list and add them to my stash as sales or rebates come up.
smile.gif

FWIW, the Russian Oil Club had M1 5W30 EP at ~9% NOACK loss a few years ago. They also had the vanilla M1 5W30 at close to 10% like the PQIA, which gave me some confidence that the VOAs there could be trusted.
SOPUS listed the NOACK losses for the PP/PUP 5W30s at 10/11% when the PurePlus products first came out, so maybe you could just peg the PUP loss at about 1% more than PP? That info didn't last long on the Pennzoil website.
Part of the reason I am running the Valvoline AFS 5W30 right now is that I was so happy that they actually published a NOACK loss on the PDS!

Originally Posted By: nap
I’d replace the Dexos column (which is of little relevance to your application) with an ACEA one. Then the choice would be so much easier since only one manufacturer from those that you listed claims to meet A5/B5.
laugh.gif

+1

This- because I have over 300K miles using it in 5 different cars ( various weights) and much OPE use.
It works- advertising and nonsense aside.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
none of the oils listed is full synthetic

Wow that sir is some intelligent fact based feedback there. Why are you wasting your time and resources here with us?

Ill vote Valvoline Advanced Full Syn (SynPower) I like the HTHS, and then personally i prefer giving my money to the smaller company. Im not a 10k+ oci type guy so i use MaxLife in all my stuff at 6 month intervals, about 6-7k usually. All will do fine protecting your engine im sure. What about Valvoline Full Syn with MaxLife technology? I think its a bit better on paper addpack wise, and cheaper than the Modern Engine stuff.

M1 because you can get it for a little over 4 bucks costco deal and has the best stats next to valvoline but valvoline doesn't have moly. Pretty easy choice, cheapest and the best on the stat sheet, thank you m1. PUP as a second choice for what doesn't show up on the stat sheet, GtL and high detergency,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back