Cooper CS5'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i bought a set of replica 20' Camaro wheels for my Malibu. They bolt right up no problems. Got a set of cooper CS5's for it for $426 after rebate. Size 255-35-20. I thought i heard good reviews on this tire so thats why i bought em. 50k tire. They are gonna be my summer set and my continentals and factory 16's are gonna be my winter set. So am i right they are good/decent tires...?

I should have my wheels monday...
Here is what they look like on my car

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Got a set of cooper CS5's for it for $426 after rebate.

Tell me about the rebate...I just got 2 for the front of my blazer for $300

Very good tires. Confident grip and smooth, quiet ride on the highway. I've hit some pretty deep water before and they didn't flinch, even when I expected to hydroplane. Wear indicators are really handy too for diagnosing uneven wear at a glance before it gets to be a problem.

The Cooper tires I've used over the years have all been good to excellent, but I have never tried a Passenger Car tire from them (always true truck tires, type LT). My gut instinct is you will be fine but were it me, with a performance car and a good set of winter tires to use in the off-season, I would have probably bought an Extreme Performance Summer myself.

I use Dunlop Direzza's (Star Spec, Direzza II's, will probably buy Direzza III's when new ones are warranted) on the Miata. Unbelievable cornering grip, decent in the rain, but they wear fast (like any high performance tire will ... when you leave rubber on the pavement, you get traction but lose mileage. And I'm not referring to burning rubber, which you can do with any tire, but with cornering and so on. Leaving rubber on the pavement is pretty much 100% of the reason for tire wear, sticky or not so sticky).

But I can understand wanting to get more miles from a tire, and trading off ultimate traction, so I'm only saying what I would do, not what you should have done.

I have the Cooper's on the 2006 Corolla in my sig. Bought them because of a great Rebate program that they were running at the time and I never looked back.
Long wearing, dependable and very forgiving........they give you ALOT of warning before their about to break loose.
grin.gif

Good Luck with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The Cooper tires I've used over the years have all been good to excellent, but I have never tried a Passenger Car tire from them (always true truck tires, type LT). My gut instinct is you will be fine but were it me, with a performance car and a good set of winter tires to use in the off-season, I would have probably bought an Extreme Performance Summer myself

But I can understand wanting to get more miles from a tire, and trading off ultimate traction, so I'm only saying what I would do, not what you should have done.

Uh, yeah—it’s a Malibu, and, while it looks snazzy (and probably rides like an oxcart) with Camaro-ish 20” wheels, “extreme performance” tires would be pointless on it. The CS5s are fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
they give you ALOT of warning before their about to break loose.

That's good to know.
lol.gif

A lot of BITOG'ers have tires from one of Cooper's CS5 lines. I have two different sized sets of Ultras on two cars. One used to be an all-year-long set but now is only used during warm months. The other has only been used during warmer weather. Work well so far in all conditions although I doubt that getting the number of miles manufacturer warrants will be possible. I'm pretty sure they'll wear out well before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back