Hand position(s) on steering wheel.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Do you have a short commute since you drink pop/coffee continuously?

About 25 minutes. But almost anytime I drive I drink something.

If you watch how race drivers are taught, it's 9 and 3 with the wheel close enough to your chest that your elbows are bent 90 degrees. Two advantages for regular drivers - first, in a collision, an expanding steering wheel airbag can't slam your arms outwards into an obstacle or another person (10 and 2), or worse, backwards into your face (12 o'clock). Second, you have good leverage on the wheel if you have to move it quickly.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I can't believe anyone replied to such a question.

Why? As you see there are many different answers

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
dt2lpf20zlcz.jpg

Lol....i wondered if someone would get sassy.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I can't believe anyone replied to such a question.

Better than Toilet paper position.....
or Confy underwear (Guilty as charged, but it was a slow end-of-year.....)

this is vintage zzman.
who knows what a bitoger will ask? how do you make toast?, or, where do peanuts come from?
zzman -- keep 'em coming, and have a good night.

Originally Posted By: yeti

this is vintage zzman.
who knows what a bitoger will ask? how do you make toast?, or, where do peanuts come from?
zzman -- keep 'em coming, and have a good night.

Hey!....it is vehicle related. And TY, you as well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
For long drives, 8 and/or 4 using the armrests, or sometimes just 10 with my arm on the window sill.

Yep.... 8 & 4 ---- 90% of the time.

The upper shape of the steering wheel opening matches perfectly my instrument panel.

Left elbow on door rest, right elbow on center console.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Usually left hand at 12. If it's a busy highway and I need to zip around slower traffic, I do 9 and 3.

+1

In professional driver training, they allow the left hand in any position from 8:00 to 10:00 and the right hand in any position from 14:00 to 16:00 for the right hand, but you must hold the wheel symmetrically. If you hold the wheel with your left at 10:00, the right hand must be positioned at 14:00. When turning the wheel, I always use the hand-to-hand method, and never use the hand-over-hand method, because it is much safer. When parallel-parking into a tight parking spot I steer one-handed, which is easier with my body twisted backward. When backing into a large spot, I steer with both hands and use just my mirrors without turning to see.

Usually around 9 or 10. As the drive wears on, I might wander from 6 to 12. Occasionally I'll use my right hand while going straight, but usually only in town where I know I'll be making turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back